Ch. 7 Warmth

Ch 7

A full 'Sunday Dinner' was an affair not seen in the Cameron house in, well, forever, as far as Phillip could remember. Chicken, mashed potatoes, broccoli, and dinner rolls. Nothing fancy or formal, but there had never been five people at the table, nor had there been so much conversation, or any conversation really. But it wasn't entirely unwelcome. Phillip supposed this was what he had missed as a child when hearing about other people's families. Children teasing each other, the scraping of forks and knives on plates, and the warm feelings. Phillip would have felt like an outsider, but everyone made an effort to include him. Franny asked him to cut her meat, Daisy politely asked about his garden, and Gabe tried to explain something about a cartoon they'd been watching.

It was all a bit overwhelming, but it was nice. Also, Phillip suspected Gareth was aware of his social unease because whenever things got to be a bit much, Gareth would redirect the kids for a few minutes with carefully chosen questions, allowing Phillip to regain his composure. When dinner was done, Gareth sent the kids to watch tv while the two men tended to the dishes.

"I'm sorry about yesterday," Phillip offered. "I'm just not good with..." he gestured around the room, as if that should make sense. Fortunately Gareth seemed conversant in awkward waving.

"No, I should have realized. I'm so sorry, Phillip, this has to be a big adjustment for you. And we're all just so thankful to be here. I hope the schedule helped," Gareth said generously, realizing this was a big admission by his counter-mate.

Phillip's cheeks flamed when he heard the way his name rolled off Gareth's tongue. He ducked his head down to hide his reaction, but managed to squeak out, "Immensely, thank you."

They worked together in companionable silence, just adjusting to each other's movements. Fingers occasionally brushed as they exchanged plates and glasses. Phillip's heart was pounding so loud he was worried Gareth could hear it. He stood at the counter just calming his nerves long after the dishes were done and Gareth had gone to take care of his kids. Was there something special about Gareth, or was it just that Phillip had gone so long without human interaction?

Sunday night meant the kids were having baths for the upcoming school week. It was on the schedule. Phillip knew he would wait to run his laundry until the Lewises were out of the house on Monday, and that was okay because it was written on the paper Gareth had left for him tacked to the fridge. It was reassuring and thoughtful. He took a chance and brought his novel out to the living room and sat on the couch, where he knew he would be undisturbed.

Shortly before nine, the Lewis children came out freshly scrubbed and dried, dressed in their pajamas to bid Phillip goodnight. It was slightly less awkward than the night before, and Phillip was able to go back to his book without too much trouble, although Daisy eyed the title hungrily. He supposed that might be something they could talk about sometime. She seemed to like reading.

An hour later, after the kids were settled, Gareth came and sat down on the loveseat to do his grading. Phillip made tea and gave Gareth a cup, then they sat in silence, the only noises from Gareth's pen scratching along his papers, or Phillip turning a page. It was okay. It was more than okay. Phillip was almost comfortable. This wasn't so bad.

............................................

Phillip was awakened by insistent knocking at his bedroom door, causing a slight bit of disorientation. He had planned to sleep until everyone had left to avoid morning awkwardness seeing as it was a school day and it was bound to be bustling in the kitchen and bathrooms, but it seemed there were other plans.

"What?" Phillip called through the door, rubbing the sleep from his eyes and adjusting himself, cursing his morning masculinity issue. What on earth had he been dreaming of? How did Gareth deal with that problem, he wondered and then blushed because he was thinking of that part of his new tenant.