Ch 17 Resignation

CH 17

Lunch was good. They went to the mall and the two men ate at a restaurant together without having to cut anyone's meat, listen to a tale too convoluted to understand, or generally prevent any sort of an argument about which superhero was better. Instead they had adult conversations about grown up things. Phillip talked about plants and clients, Gareth talked about school and students. They might have even broached the state of the government, fortunately they seemed to agree on politics, mostly. Together they sipped their pints, had their meals, and occasionally glanced at the sports playing on the twenty televisions the restaurant boasted that were placed around the room.

"Do you think the kids are okay?" Phillip asked, concern evident when there was a lull in their discussion. After all, he wasn't used to not having them around since the family moved in.

"I'm sure they're having a great time. Mel and Vern are probably spoiling them rotten," Gareth stated, less concerned. Although it did feel odd to be without them, relaxing but odd.

"How can you be so calm? Don't you miss them?"

"Of course I do, but Mel and Vern are totally competent and I can't help but focus on the incredibly amazing and hot person I'm with, instead."

"Oh," Phillip said, his face blushing in a way that Gareth found most becoming.

"You know, I liked you the first time I laid eyes on you." Gareth reached across the table and took Phillip's hand that had been worrying at a napkin. "I'm just so thankful you let us stay."

"Best decision of my life," Phillip said, nodding in agreement. He thought carefully for a second before adding, "I never knew how much I wasn't living. You, and the kids, it's like a miracle for me." His words were soft and he was almost quaking from how vulnerable the admission made him. Gareth could crush him but he was pretty sure he wouldn't. Instead, Gareth leaned over and tilted Phillip's head up, dark chocolate brown meeting hazel, eyes locked. Ever so slowly, he brought his lips to Phillip's and caressed them lightly with his own. Their cheeks both reddened, not used to kissing in public, but happy to be able to.

The two men finished up at the restaurant, then decided to walk through the mall, both needing odds and ends before getting to their ultimate destination of the drug store. They were mature, after all, so a mad dash to the condom section might look childish, no matter how bad they wanted to get back to bed. A few shirts, some socks, and a belt later, and they were standing outside the neon sign of the pharmacy.

"Did you want me to go in and buy the stuff by myself?" Gareth asked, since Phillip might be uncomfortable.

"No. I want everything just as much as you, so I need to take an active role in this part, too." Both men were slightly aroused at just the thought of what this purchase would mean for them--the next thing they both desperately wanted to experience together. Phillip took Gareth's hand and they headed to the family planning section. It was thankfully lacking in customers, but certainly not in product.

Immediately Phillip was overwhelmed by the sheer volume of choices and options on display. There were blue packets and shiny foil boxes, ribbed and extra-large, flavoured and multi-coloured; a plethora of prophylactics to confuse and confound. Especially for first time buyers, like Phillip. While he was lost staring at all their options, Gareth was busy examining the choices in lubricants on the lower shelves and was crouching down to get a closer look.

"Uh, Gareth?"

"Yes?" He was busy, distracted by trying to decide between two different brands of lube, each touting their own special type of slickness, and Gareth was weighing his options. Was there a difference?