Ch. 10 Mother's Day

CH 10

On Monday, after seeing the kids off to school, Phillip took his memory stick to a printers and had a pile of flyers made. They looked fairly professional, so he took a deep breath and started on his way to a new life. Heck, last time he'd advertised it hadn't worked out too bad. The Lewises had been with him for a few weeks already, and it was mostly good. Sure they'd had a few issues, but for the most part Phillip was okay, even enjoying the change. It had showed him that the rut he'd been in for so long wasn't healthy. He was surprised at how much he liked the company and how lonely he'd truly been before. Coming home was actually inviting, interesting; there was always some story from the kids or Gareth, and they always asked him how he was, too. Maybe he was finally participating in life, rather than watching it go by, and maybe he was ready to plunge ahead.

Working at Bentman's had been safe. Predictable. And in many ways, completely stifling. As much as Brian was a complete jerk, Phillip could thank him for forcing him to get out there and try something new—actually put his knowledge and degree to use rather than be a glorified stock boy. It was terrifying, but also incredibly exciting. Gareth had made him such a great web page and flyer that Phillip wanted to prove to him it was actually worth his time. That maybe Phillip was worth his time...

Although the city they lived in wasn't particularly large, there were at least four seniors' centres that he could target. Maybe a few of the community centres, too, and the upscale food stores where wealthier people with little time but big wallets might want impressive gardens. In addition, Mrs. Bentman had also been true to her word, and Phillip already had three of her friends calling as prospective clients. Things were looking up.

.....................................................................

"Ah, Phillip?" Gareth got the attention of the man who was sitting across from him as Phillip's eyes flicked upwards, off the garden catalogue he'd been perusing. "I was wondering if you could watch the kids for me on Thursday evening."

Gareth felt like a complete jerk for asking. Surely it was overstepping his boundaries as tenant, although he really did feel that maybe they were more like friends now. "I have to attend the arts evening at my school and it's not required but I kind of feel like I should go since my class-"

"It's fine, Gareth, of course I can. Thank you for asking me," Phillip responded quickly, waving off Gareth's explanation. He was actually quite pleased to be asked, made him feel more like someone important—and he'd never really had that feeling before. "Maybe I could take them to the McDonald's with the playplace for dinner and the library for Daisy first?" That had to be easier than cooking for them.

"Really, Phillip, it's not necessary. You spoil them." Gareth smiled to show he meant no insult.

"I never got to do things like this as a child. I never even had fast food until I went to university," Phillip admitted. "My father wouldn't permit it when I was young, therefore, even when he was gone, my mother still stuck to the steadfast rule of a home cooked meal."

"Huh." Gareth couldn't really understand the idea of taking kids to McDonald's as a novelty, but if Phillip wanted to try it, then more power to him. "Well, if you want to take the little monsters there, you're welcome to it. You'll have to take my van though, because of the child seats. Is it okay if I use your car?"

It was settled, and for the first time ever Phillip was very definitely, possibly completely, in over his head.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The library had been fine. It had been quiet, controlled, manageable. Daisy and Phillip bonded over a A Wrinkle in Time while the younger two chose some picture books, played games on the children's section computers, and completed some book themed colouring sheets.