Chapter 43

I sit in the back of the car, closest to the window, Harry is on the other side, the middle seat between us but it's definitely not enough space for me. The driver takes off and weaves through the traffic outside the venue, making his way through the streets, I try to pay attention to where we're going but I don't really recognise any of these back streets. I think staring out the window is easier than looking over at Harry, I can feel his eyes on me and it's very unnerving.

"Are you just not going to talk to me the whole night?" He says after a long silence.

I just shrug and turn back to the window again.

"What did you plan for this date anyway?" I ask, my tone completely neutral.

"You're not going to like it." He says and I turn to look at him again, noticing how nervous he looks as he shifts in his seat, his knee bobbing up and down.

"Why not?" I ask, my voice barely heard it's so blank sounding.

"Because, it's just not very you. If I'd known it was going to be you, I would've planned something completely different, specific to you that would've shown you how much I care about you." He says.

"You're not allowed to say stuff like that." I roll my eyes, resting my elbow on the window and my chin on my palm. He's going to make me regret coming if he doesn't shut up.

"Sorry." He says quietly as the car pulls up, I don't wait for Harry to hop out and open the door for me, instead pushing it open with too much force that it swings back towards me as I'm hopping out and I have to put my arm out defensively to soften the blow as the corner of the car door hits my forehead, knocking me over slightly. I laugh at myself as I rub the spot on my head, ouch. Not off to a good start.

Harry laughs as he stands on the sidewalk waiting for me. I slam the door shut as punishment for it hitting me, looking up at the building we're in front of for the first time.

It's completely unfamiliar, and sort of looks like an old abandoned warehouse.

"Did you bring me here to murder me?" I mutter as I follow him through a loud creaky door, my eyes are overwhelmed by the bright neon lights that they're confronted with. "What is this place?" I ask, looking around, there's a two lane bowling alley in the corner, and along one wall of this large warehouse is a row of gaming machines....car racing, shooting, pinball, the lot. Red flashing lights beam from the machines, and the whirring sound of techology fill my ears as I follow Harry further into the large space. It's a video arcade. This strange building that looks old and creepy from the outside, is so alive and modern on the inside. Beneath my feet is bright purple carpet, and multicoloured rope lights run along the ceiling above me, illuminating the whole space. I look around in awe, I don't think I've ever been in a video arcade before...atleast not in the past ten years.

In the corner, there's a black and white check vinyl square where a small diner-like cafe is operating, bright red booths line the wall and retro music blares from a jukebox. Harry was right, this isn't exactly my kind of place but it's pretty freaking awesome. I suddenly remember who I'm here with and my stomach flips, my mind refreshing the reasons why I hate him and that I can't pretend like nothing has happened. I walk past him and sit down in a booth in the diner section of the arcade, feeling his perplexed eyes on me as I do. I find it oddly not surprising that there is no one else in the arcade except for the staff of the diner, typical Harry had to hire the whole thing out for this.

"Come on, play a game with me." Harry pleads, sliding into the booth at the opposite side of the table.

"That's not happening." I slump down into the chair, waiting for the 30 minutes I promised him to tick by.