Chapter 52

When I wake up at 5am, having to allow time to catch the train into London for work, I am not surprised to see countless notifications from Louis on my phone. 6 missed calls and about ten messages. It’s too early for this, I’ll deal with him on the train. It’d be late afternoon in New Zealand, although I have a feeling they go back to Australia soon, possibly today even.

After a teary goodbye to my parents, who weren’t really all that sad to see me go, choosing instead to be extremely enthusiastic about my trip and promising to visit me once I’m all settled, I catch the train back to London, like I’ve done countless times before. Speaking of, I really need to find an apartment, I keep putting it off because I have no idea what I’m looking for, and I know rent in New York is going to be ridiculously expensive for someone paying off a mortgage on a London flat at the same time.

I scroll through my messages, surprised by one from Linda, promising she’s dragging me to a club this weekend. I choose not to wonder why she was even awake at 3am sending me messages. After finding the Louis thread of messages, I scroll up right to the top of his ten message saga so I can read them in consecutive order.

Louis: I’m a dickhead. I’m so sorry, please call me when you wake up.

Louis: I feel horrible, I didn’t mean to stress you out.

Louis: I know I messed up, God I wish you were awake. Fucking timezones.

Louis: I am really really sorry.

Louis: I miss you so much.

Louis: I’m officially going crazy, I feel horrible.

Louis: Lolaaaaaaa, call me.

Louis: I know you’re asleep, sorry.

Louis: Please call me before work, I can’t wait another 8 hours.

I roll my eyes at his messages as I finally put him out of his misery and call him back.

“I’m so sorry.” His first words make me sigh and I lean my head back on the uncomfortable train seat.

“That’s all?” I say.

“I shouldn’t have called you when I was high and stressed you out.”

“No shit.” I say harshly.

“Look I said I’m sorry okay?”

“Well maybe that’s not good enough Louis, I’m not like Eleanor, you can’t just call me up and say all this shit that makes me freak out about not only your safety but our relationship too, and then expect everything to be fine when you say sorry.”

“I said sorry, what else do you want me to say?”

“Nothing, I just don’t want it to happen again. I have this thing that Eleanor obviously didn’t have if she put up with this shit for so long, it’s called self respect. I won’t waste my time chasing up your friends and getting them to track you down because I’m stressing about you, only to have you say horrible things to me when I finally find you.”

“I know, you’re right. I’m really sorry, I’m a dick. I shouldn’t have called, I shouldn’t have done weed.”

“You’re damn right you shouldn’t have, honestly do you think it’s a good idea to be doing any drugs right now?” I lower my voice to a whisper, remembering that I’m in public.

“I’m sorry I didn’t realise you were a doctor or a counsellor.” He says sarcastically.

“Louis don’t test me, it’s very early in the morning and you were a jerk last night so you’re not really in a position to be treating me like that now.”