Chapter 59

1 Day till New York

All hope of holding on to my anger disappeared with every passing hour. I’d say I’m an emotional wreck but that is slightly an under exaggeration. I’m constantly on edge, worrying about New York and my mind is looking for any possible excuse to get out of this huge life change but it’s too late. I made the decision so suddenly, I said yes a minute after my Granddad first told me about it, I rushed into this and I’m not ready. I’m only 22, I’ve already moved out of home to go to college, moved to a big city to start working, and now I’m moving again. It’s too much, part of me feels like I just need to set my roots down somewhere, but another part of me says I need to do this while I’m young. The third part wants me to drop everything and run away, far away, not to New York where I have to work, not home to my parents, somewhere else, somewhere far where I don’t have to think about anything. 

But it’s too late for that, this is happening. I’m moving. This is what I need, I know it is but I just can’t wrap my head around the fact it’s actually happening. Everything is finalised, I’ve said goodbye to my parents, my grandparents, I even dropped by Gab’s practice and said goodbye. There’s only one person left and I know she’s not going to make it easy for me. Tonight is my goodbye dinner with Linda, she insisted on being as close to the leaving date as possible for some reason.

I leave my freshly dyed hair out and straight, keeping my make up neutral with a pale pink lip and decided to wear a square-necklined black and white striped dress that is tight around my chest but after cinching at the waist flares out, tightened by a black belt and paired with bright red thin-heeled Mary Janes.

I take deep breaths in the cab on the way to the restaurant, knowing this meeting will be emotionally challenging, not only because I’m leaving but because she will grill me about how I am dealing with the break up. The answer to that is still “not well” but I’m doing my best.

I walk into the rustic-themed Mexican restaurant, renowned for it’s sangria, where we’ve met quite a few times before, and make my way through the busy restaurant, maneuvering around tables and waiters that are rushing around like crazy. I’m doing my best to search around the restaurant that is alive with the chitter chatter of it’s patrons and authentic mariachi music, but I can’t see Linda anywhere.

A waiter steps out of my way and that’s when I see her. But my eyes aren’t drawn to the effortlessly beautiful blonde girl who’s eyes are frantically searching my face for emotion, no, my eyes are locked with those of the girl with the vibrant purple hair, dimpled awkward smile, identical to her brother’s, and wide, curious eyes.

My stomach flips with nerves. What is she doing here? I haven’t seen her in…since it happened, and I’m still not ready to face the events of that day, not knowing how they ended and how they left me with nothing but a mess of broken pieces inside.

I swallow, trying to calm the frantic butterflies as they squirm in my stomach. If she hates me still, surely she wouldn’t be here?

“Umm. Hi.” I say, my voice coming out as nervous as I feel as I approach the round table in the corner where they sit, both on the same side, the only seat free facing opposite them both, making me feel like it’s them against me. Not a ratio I like.

“Hi.” Gemma says, just as nervously as me but she manages a small, somewhat reassuring smile. I’m flashed back to our first day in our dorm, I was terrified, younger than everyone else and this flawless, happy girl was so comforting and was exactly what I needed.

“Hey!” Linda says loudly, overcompensating for the painful quiet. I pull the chair out from the table, it screeches as it drags across the floor and I cough to detract from the sound.