Chapter 71

“How’s everything going, with Louis?” Gem asks through the phone, I smile to Lou as I pass her in the hallway backstage.

“Soooo awkward, oh my god I can’t wait till I don’t have to see him everyday.”

“Yeah you poor thing, you deserve a medal for that. Even Ashton said it was really awkward.”

“He’s not wrong, I almost feel like it’s getting worse. Yesterday I was with Harry backstage, just mucking around, and Louis and Niall were kicking the soccer ball around, and Louis kicked it and it hit me and he didn’t even say sorry, he was just like ‘can I have my ball back?’ and I have never looked at someone so judgmentally in my whole life, he’s making it harder than it needs to be I swear.” I recount to Gemma the story of yesterday’s annoying interaction before the boys’ concert, rubbing the bruise on my back from where the ball hit me. Ow.

“Yeah if looks could kill, I wouldn’t have wanted to be Louis.” She laughs.

“Definitely not. How are things with you? I wish you were here so I had someone to do stuff with. Your brother is boring.” I whine.

“I wish I was still there too! Work is killing me slowly, but the weather is starting to heat up slightly which is nice.”

“Yeah that is good. I miss London!”

“It misses you! Speaking of, when do you go to New York?”
“Um, very soon. I don’t have a specific date, Harry and I haven’t really talked about it, but I have meetings next week, so I’m going to have to leave before then.”

“Oh yeah, fair enough. That’s going to suuuuck.”

“You’re telling me.”

“Where is my brother anyway?” She asks, as I open the door into the dressing room.

“He’s right here actually, he was just on for soundcheck before but he’s back.” I wander through the empty room over to Harry, thankful we’re the only ones in here.

“Oh put him on for a sec, I have something funny to tell him.” She instructs and I oblige.

“Okay, bye!” I say before taking a seat on Harry’s lap on the couch and holding the phone up to his ear.

I fiddle with the button on Harry’s shirt as he chats away to Gemma, laughing at whatever she had to say before finally hanging up.

“Hi boyfriend.” I greet him with a kiss and he laughs. “My name is Harry.”
“I wasn’t aware.” I roll my eyes at him, his arms wrapping around my waist and pulling me close against his chest.

“Well now you know.” He pokes my nose and I grin at him before crashing my lips against his, needing and urgent, making the most of being able to kiss him whenever I want. I’m so happy.

The door behind us opens and I break the kiss, looking behind us to see who it is.

Of fucking course.

I frown when I see Louis making his way into the room, closing the door behind him.

Harry’s grip on me tightens as I look back at him and roll my eyes, you could cut the tension in here with a knife.

“Oh no, don’t stop on my account.” Louis snarls and my jaw drops, looking around at him. I’m so sick of this.

“Can you not? Can you just go one day without making everyone’s lives more difficult?” I bite, surprised by my own words, and surprising Harry when I stand up off his lap.

“I’m the one making lives difficult, Lola? Really? I can’t believe you have the nerve to say that to me.” He shakes his head and I take a step closer to him, my confidence rising.