Alone

She was glad she faced forward, so he couldn't see her hot, hot cheeks. If he did catch a glimpse of her face, hopefully he'd assume it was the warmth of the noonday sun. She'd never been so close to someone before, with the exception of her parents. During festivals in her village, none of the men even dared to ask her to dance for fear of appearing to make an advance on the Prince's betrothed.

It surprised her that only those within her village seemed to know she was betrothed to the Prin—King. Why hadn't the King at least spread word that he was betrothed? Perhaps his betrothal to a simple, lowly common girl had slipped his mind. She resisted the urge to snarl at the thought. Maybe she hadn't needed to even leave the tower. She shook her head slightly.

No. Where the King was concerned, she would take no chances. She couldn't risk him identifying her lest he punish her infidelity.

Viltus' chest rumbled against her back as he cleared his throat. "How have you never ridden a horse? How did you even reach Zonah from your town?"

"I walked." Though there had been a kindly miner who'd let her ride his wagon for part of the way. She clasped her satchel to her chest, hoping it would shield her from any other probing questions.

"Why have you never ridden a horse?"

Her gaze drifted to the plump clouds above. "My... parents wouldn't allow it."

"Yet they permit you journeying to Zonah, a town bordering Esmeray and under constant protection for fear of invasion by Esmerian forces?"

She shrugged. "In my village, we know very little of the outside world."

"Still, they would allow you to travel alone?"

Her nails dug into the worn cloth of her satchel.

"If you fled without their knowledge, then they were supportive of the King's... arrangement with you. Correct?"

She nodded.

His arm around her waist clenched her even closer to him—but only briefly. "I'm sorry, Carissa."

"It's fine. That's behind me now."

"Why were they so protective?"

She scrunched her lips. How much truth should she blend with her deceit?

A woman tittered from somewhere above them, and she felt Viltus shift in the saddle to glance up.

Ah. A distraction to buy her more time with which to formulate an answer. When Viltus continued looking up, Carissa tilted her head up as well.

A woman leaned against a marble balcony above, her velvety emerald dress hugging every curve she possessed. She leaned so far forward, it seemed she was about to fall out of her generously scooped neckline. No doubt she was a nightwoman, although apparently she didn't cease work even in daylight.

Carissa stiffened and set her gaze forward. "Are you quite done, Viltus?"

He chuckled. "You didn't seem willing to answer my question a moment ago. Now you seem overeager. A little jealous, are we?"

She folded her arms around her satchel and didn't reply.

His sigh stirred hair. "I'm afraid you'll have to forgive me. I hadn't intended to stare, but I was curious as to how you would react if I continued to do so."

Her mouth dropped. How dare he toy with her emotions? She twisted towards him, preparing to give him the scolding of his life, when the horse suddenly jerked beneath her. A streak of gray darted across the street, eliciting squawks of surprise from women.