Attacked by Reapers: Part 2

The Reaper's Scythe and Elon's sword clanged as they interlocked. Elon pulled his sword away before striking again. The Reaper blocked, but stumbled backwards, the force of Elon's swing jarring him.

Carissa glanced at her dagger, at the brink of their circle of light. She darted after it and swept it up. Heat sliced through her hand, and she glanced down to find the blade red with her blood. She adjusted her grip—so she held the hilt instead of the blade—and ignored the pain gnawing at her palm.

Elon and the Reaper fought fiercely, their blades glistening as they clashed. The Reaper's back was to her. Maybe this was her chance.

She crept closer, approaching his long, thin figure. The edges of his black cloak fluttered with each swing of his Scythe.

She lifted her hand and plunged the dagger into his back.

The Reaper tensed—and she realized she'd hit him a little too far to the left. Perhaps painful, but not a lethal blow. She barely had time to rip her dagger out as the Reaper pivoted towards her, standing only a foot or two away, his Scythe upraised.

Carissa lunged forward, sinking the dagger through his sternum. There was a wet squish, and oily liquid gushed over her dagger, then her hands. It coated her cut palm, burning like salt on her wound.

His red irises rolled to the back of his head, leaving only the black of his eyes visible. Then he sank to his knees, driving the dagger more deeply into his chest. She pulled the dagger out, and he collapsed face-down.

And then there was silence, the kind that made her ears ache as they strained to hear something, anything.

She lowered her dagger and glanced up at Elon. "Are we done?"

Elon shrugged. "For the time being." As if on cue, another shriek pierced the air.

Carissa sighed, leaning against the rock face. Exhaustion fogged her vision and mind. She was too tired to be scared. If the Reapers wanted them, they could come and get them.

As the adrenaline trickled out of her body, her cheek began to ache, like the skin over her face was stretched too tightly. Icy pain seared through her gash, the cold worming down through her skin. Why did it feel so strange?

"The Reaper cut you with his Scythe?"

Carissa nodded.

"We'll have to heal it quickly, then. It's already stopped bleeding."

Stopped bleeding? But wasn't that a good thing?

Elon stamped out their lit firesteel before grasping her hand and leading her forward.

Frankly, she didn't know what to think of Esmeray. Most of what she'd "seen" had been in the dark. In some ways, it was even more mysterious than when she'd entered it.

Elon stepped sharply to the left, and she could only guess what obstacle he was leading her around. A rock? A tree? A cliff?

A few paces later, her feet tapped against the ground, her steps echoing. It seemed Elon had lead them to a cave.

He released her hand. She heard the whisper of cloth and clack of a buckle. He was likely unpacking his sack. Then she sensed him come close to her, his heat a welcome warmth in the chill of Esmeray.

His fingers touched her chin, tilting her head back. Water splashed on her cheek, and she suppressed a startle. His thumb moved over her skin, and the pain faded. Elon drew a sharp breath but continued to caress her cheek.

When he withdrew, his breathing still staggered, as if he were in pain.

Carissa fumbled for his hand and interwove their fingers. "Elon? Are you alright?"

When he finally spoke, his voice sounded strained. "Yes. I'm fine, Carissa. It's just the Esmerian steel. I've never healed a cut caused by it before, and I knew it would take longer to heal..." He huffed a laugh. "I just didn't know it would hurt that much."

She squeezed his hand more tightly, thankful he'd healed her, but regretting he'd needed to in the first place.

Elon released her left hand to hold her wounded one. Water splashed her palm, followed by the caress of his thumb. "You should rest now. We don't have long before the Reapers find us again."

Just the thought made another cascade of adrenaline wash over her. "Then how am I supposed to sleep?"

"I could sing to you—like I did last night."

She sighed. "After everything that's happened today, I'm not certain it will work again." She knelt and felt for the pack Elon had set down. How deep down had they stuffed the blankets?

"Oh, it will." Elon brushed her hands aside. A moment later, her arms were filled with a bundle of blankets.

"What makes you so certain?" She began spreading them out as best she could.

Once they were spread, she felt Elon brush past her before tugging her down beside him. His body curved around hers, and for the first time since they'd entered Esmeray, she felt safe.

"I can use my gifting with the song, and... well, I don't know quite how it works. But I think it's the only way you'll be able to get some sleep before the next attack."

She shifted, nestling her head next to his chest, his heart thrumming beneath her ear. "Then do it. And wake me when they come."

The first line of Elon's song echoed in the cave: "You are my starlight, my shining starlight..."

It seemed like only a moment later when a scream startled her awake.

***

Author's Note: Seriously crunched for time right now, so I haven't proofread, and there's no sneak peek--yet ;) If you guys really want one, I think I can find the motivation to type something up before Saturday.