Bonded: Part 2

Elon braced his arms on either side of her, so he didn't fall on top of her. She curved herself against him, felt the smoothness of his wet clothes plastering his figure. His hand found the curve of her waist. He kissed her deeply, delving into her mouth until all she was aware of was him. The heat burning low in her stomach was intoxicating. She wanted more.

And just when she thought he would give it to her, he drew away, placing his forehead against her bare shoulder, his breath warming her wet skin.

She could practically feel him grow colder, reigning his desire back in. Maybe another night she would have tolerated it, but not tonight.

"Elon."

He lifted his gaze to hers.

"I want to bond with you."

"Tonight?"

She nodded.

Elon sat up, the water swishing around him. His gaze flicked over her curves, glossy from the bath water, and then up to the ceiling. His throat bobbed as he swallowed. "You're certain?"

"Yes. Why? You don't think I'm ready?"

"I just want to make our first time... special."

"Elon. It wouldn't be my first time."

He met her gaze again. "It's your first time as far as I'm concerned, Carissa."

His eyes were hot and dark, warming her as if she'd swallowed a mouthful of tea. The heat spread from her chest to her fingertips, and she glanced away to hide the moisture in her eyes.

Elon scooted towards her, pressing his side against hers. "You're certain?"

She nodded. "This is my gift to you, Elon. And I'm sorry that I didn't wait for you. I wish you could have been the first to receive me. If only I'd realized how valuable it was before I gave it away..."

"You mean how valuable you are." He tucked his finger beneath her chin, tilting her face towards his. "And regardless of who had you in the past, I have you now, and that's what matters to me."

He knelt next to her and slid his arms around her back and beneath her knees. Then he stood, lifting her from the tub. Streams of water dribbled down both of them.

He stepped out and strode to the bed before setting her atop its creamy covers. He slipped his trousers off, and they fell to the floor. He began to slide his shirt off, but it didn't come as easily, with his broad shoulders and the wet cloth sticking to his skin.

Carissa stood and strode to his side. She wriggled her fingers beneath the hem of his shirt and peeled it off of him. Then he removed his undergarments.

Elon tilted his head. "Well?"

Carissa lifted her gaze. "Not bad."

His laughter poured into the room, lighting a smile on her face. "I'm relieved to hear I'm not a complete disappointment." His eyes crinkled with mirth as he cupped her jaw. "Are you ready, m'lady?" He didn't touch her anywhere else, but she felt the warmth pouring off of him.

Her chest felt tight, leaving her breathless. She nodded.

Elon gestured for her to go first, his palm extended towards the bed.

The bed.

It'd never looked quite so intimidating before, firelight flickering over the sheets, leaving the rest slashed in shadow. Though she tightened her grip on her emotions, a sliver of panic wriggled out. Men had taken before, but she'd never given. What if the others had taken so much that there was none of her left to satisfy Elon? What if she couldn't make him happy?

Elon curved his hand against her upper back, the warmth from his touch melting her panic.

She lifted the covers and slipped into the bed, scooting to the side to make room for Elon. He slid in next to her, then he turned on his side to face her. By the time he reached out to touch her, her heart was pounding so hard she was shivering. It felt like she was preparing to jump off a cliff and fall into the maws of the abyss waiting below.

Elon drew her near and kissed her, his lips parting hers. Gradually, the beat of her heart became thick and heavy, keeping in sync with Elon's. She'd kissed him before; she knew these motions.

Elon's lips and caresses slowly stoked the fire within her, and she felt the tight knot of fear within her chest loosen. But then he drew closer, pressing himself to her, and closer—

Her body went rigid, everything inside her clamping up tight. It was as if a trapdoor had been slammed shut.

As Elon drew back, she buried her face into the pillow, so hard the bridge of her nose ached with the pressure. It was Elon touching her, no one else. And Elon loved. He would never hurt her. So why did she feel so afraid?

Elon rubbed her back, his touch comforting rather than sensual. He was whispering to her, the words of which she couldn't quite make out, but his tone was soothing and low.

She finally lifted her face from the pillow. "Elon?"

His hand stilled on her back. "Yes?"

"Can we try again?"

He nodded. "If you're certain you want to."

They tried twice more before Elon was able to bond with her. She wasn't sure if it'd been moments or hours later when he sat back from her. Though the room was dim, she could see a silent question glittering in his eyes. Perhaps he wanted to know if she was alright or if she'd enjoyed it.

She turned on her side, away from his prying gaze. Regardless of what it was, she knew she couldn't give him an honest answer that would please him.

It'd been uncomfortable, though she'd managed to suppress her panic for the duration of their bonding. But at least when they'd stopped, she hadn't felt any pain. Its absence felt strange, as though she were numb.

Elon leaned closer. "Carissa? Are you well?"

"Why doesn't it hurt?" The question escaped before she could stop it.

"What mean you?"

"Isn't it supposed to hurt? At least a little?"

Elon's expression seemed to sag with sorrow. If only she'd kept her mouth shut. "No, Carissa. Perhaps a bit for your first time, but not after. Aside from the absence of pain, did you feel anything else?"

A hot wash of shame surged through her, and she hunched her shoulders. It seemed her greatest fear was coming to pass: she was broken beyond repair, incapable of enjoying intimacy with her husband. Perhaps Elon had at least gained a little pleasure from it.

Tears filled her eyes, dripped down her lower lashes. She wasn't sure why she was crying—if it was shame, fear, or a small part of her was glad they'd finally bonded.

"Oh, Carissa." His voice was drawn taut, threatening to break. Elon pulled her close and cradled her head in the crook of his arm. He touched his forehead to hers. "I'm so sorry."

She shook her head and wiped her cheeks. "It's not your fault."

He remained silent for a while, occasionally brushing away her tears or smoothing her hair back. "Are you alright with me holding you?"

She nodded, and he settled down next to her, his arms curved loosely around her.

He cupped her shoulder, his thumb moving back and forth in a caress. "It'll be better next time, Carissa. I knew our first bonding would likely be hard for you."

"But what if they're always hard?"

"They won't be."

Hopefully Elon was right. He was the one with Foresight, after all. She turned to face him and tucked her head beneath his.

***

Author's Note: Sneak peek is in my profile. After all, I couldn't very well let you guys go the weekend without a sneak peek, could I?