Traitorous: Part 2

Carissa curled her hands into fists. "Do you require something, Algernon?"

Algernon arched his eyebrows. "Not feeling so hospitable today, hmm? Even after my explanation?"

"Are you going to answer my question or do I need to repeat myself?"

"That won't be necessary." Algernon shoved off the pole. "I... Never mind, it's a rather silly inquiry. Forgive me for disturbing you."

He began to stride out of their tent, until Carissa asked, "What's your question, Algernon? You've already come here; you might as well ask it."

Algernon paused at the opening of the tent. Then he glanced at her over his shoulder. "As King, Elon is very powerful. I'm sure he would have already thought of this were it possible, but do you think that Elon... that he could bring Kybelle back?"

The question wasn't quite what she'd been expecting, and Carissa found herself searching for words. "I'm uncertain. Elon's powers continually surprise me. But since he hasn't said anything, I suppose he's either not capable or not willing." Carissa took a step nearer. "Algernon, I'm truly sorry for what happened to your sister. I know you're still grieving her. But Elon has a way of using even the darkest events to shine light in the lives of others."

Algernon shook his head. "I'm struggling to have the optimistic view of his plan that you do, Carissa. Her death was a terrible thing. I can't even conceive of the pain she must have gone through and the thought that I was supposed to be there to protect her..."

He released a shuddering breath, and Carissa set a hand upon his shoulder. "Algernon, I'm sorry."

She was about to say something else until Elon burst into the tent. He was smiling, but the happiness in his expression faded as soon as his gaze landed on them.

Elon nodded. "Algernon."

Algernon bent at his torso in a bow, though the movement was too shallow to convey deference. "Elon. I was just leaving."

"Were you?" Elon's tone grew frigid, and Carissa suppressed a shiver.

Algernon moved to leave the tent without answering, but Elon shifted in front of him.

"At daybreak, I'm accompanying a party of men to hunt down nearby packs of yare wolves, so the caravan can safely pass by. Will you be joining us?"

Algernon's laugh sounded stiffer than starched cloth felt. "Is that so? I'm afraid I'll have to pass on this one. I think I've fought enough yare wolves for this lifetime."

Elon inclined his head. "Very well. See that you guard the caravan well while I'm gone."

"Of course." He disappeared out the tent flap, leaving the canvas rustling in his wake.

Once the fabric had settled, Elon turned towards Carissa. "He didn't act untoward towards you, did he?"

She shook her head. "He simply wanted to know if you could bring Kybelle back."

Elon's expression sagged, and he scrubbed a hand over his face. "That's not how it works. To bring Kybelle back, I'd have to tear her from her Second Life. If Algernon truly understood what he was asking, he wouldn't have requested that in the first place."

Carissa nodded. "I told him that either you likely weren't capable or weren't willing."

"I suppose that explanation is accurate enough." Elon sighed. "I'd best retire for the night. Tomorrow will be exhausting." He lifted the hem of his shirt up and over his head before discarding it.

Carissa's gaze skimmed the breadth of his shoulders and the flexing muscles in his back. His skin was smooth save for the scars distorting his skin—her scars. She was beginning to lose track of all that he'd healed her from: burns, whip marks, bruises, and the bite of both wolves and steel. But even so, she'd never seen a more perfect man.

Her palms tingled with the urge to touch what her eyes had seen. Would he ask her to bond tonight? Or should she first approach him?

And then Elon turned and met her gaze, a deep weariness darkening his eyes.

No, not tonight. Something was weighing on Elon, and he needed his rest. And though she longed to bond with him again, love was about putting another's needs before one's own.

Carissa smiled up at him and feathered her fingers through his hair. "Do you need anything before you retire? Would you like to wash in the basin? Or I could finish helping you undress."

A smile flickered across his lips. "I require naught but you."

She beamed, feeling the glow of his words from her scalp to her toes.

He pressed a kiss to her cheek. "Lie down, and I'll join you shortly."

Carissa dressed in a loose shirt that served as a nightgown, slid into bed, and as promised, Elon slipped in beside her. He was tenser than usual, so Carissa stroked his tight shoulders.

He released a slow breath, his body finally relaxing, and he gathered her in his arms before falling asleep mere moments after.

***

The Next Day

She missed Elon more than expected. He'd left early in the morning, and though it was only dusk—not even a day after—she found herself continually searching the road as she waited for his return.

The hours past had been filled with cleaning the dirt off of their belongings, cooking meals, and tending the animals. Many caravan members were chatting or seated with their backs against blackened trees. Likely they weren't used to having idle time. They often set up camp only to break it down a few hours later.

Carissa ducked back inside the tent, setting down the rug she'd beaten clean. Her gaze caught on a worn saddle bag, and a memory flickered through her mind.

One woman approached them, and her gaze landed on Carissa. "Thank you for being our Queen." Her withered arms trembled as she extended a cloth sack towards Carissa.

Carissa took it and set it on her lap. "Thank you."

"May your journey prove to be a blessing to you as well as the people you serve." The older woman dipped into a teetering curtsey before righting herself.

Carissa dug into the saddle bag and lifted the cloth sack. She parted the drawstrings, dove her hand into the sack, and withdrew its contents. She'd grabbed a handful of velvet, the cloth colored a deep burgundy with purple undertones. She stretched the cloth out and lifted it up. It was shaped like a dress, though without much fabric. The neckline and back scooped low and the length wasn't nearly long enough to cover her legs.

It seemed she wasn't the only one anticipating she'd be bonding with Elon during their journey.

Carissa blushed and was tempted to stuff it back where none could see, but she hesitated. What if Elon came back this night? Surely he'd be too tired... But if he saw her wearing this, perhaps he'd change his mind about being tired.

The thought made her recklessly happy, and she darted to the tent opening before fastening it closed with the strings sewn into the canvas. If Elon came, she'd simply have to unknot them.

She pulled off the trousers and shirt she wore before tugging on the dress and slimming it over her hips. It fit her well, making curves of her slender figure where she'd thought there were none. Perhaps they'd obtained her measurements from the palace seamstress.

She laid down on the cot, and she wasn't certain how many hours had passed before she was roused by movement at entryway. "Elon?" The thought made her heart surge, warmth pouring through her limbs.

She darted towards the entryway and began to undo the first knot, only to pause. Why hadn't Elon responded yet? Unless it wasn't truly Elon.

***

Author's Note: I was reading through the comments from last chapter, and I just couldn't stop smiling and laughing at everything you guys had to say. I honestly don't even deserve you guys. 💖

But, mushy feelings aside, the sneak peek is up if you want to check it out. 😉