Tending Elon

Elon's gaze skittered away from hers. "It was past midnight."

Carissa could barely hear him. She began to shake, and it felt like fire coursed through her veins. To think she'd even considered saving their scouts. She began to stand, but Elon caught her wrist.

He tried to tug her back down, but she remained standing. "It's alright, Carissa. I knew this would happen."

She swallowed tightly. "They had no right to do that."

"It was a part of the deal, Carissa."

"That doesn't justify them hurting you." She clenched her jaw until the pressure made her teeth ache. "They deserve death."

"They do."

Carissa's surprise at his agreement briefly eclipsed her anger.

Elon pulled on her wrist until she knelt beside him. He kept her hand captive, running his thumb along the ridges of her knuckles. "You've hurt me far more, you know."

Carissa flinched. He had a point—but it was different. "You mean physically? When you've healed me?"

"Yes, but more than that." He laced his fingers with hers. "I know all the ways you tried to run from me. I know every single way you have betrayed me and every single way you will betray me. And I assure you that hurts far more."

He was right, and it pained her to admit that.

Elon pulled her closer, until she was seated by him, her side pressed to his. "Do you recall what I said just before we were wed? That part of the gifting is to love deeply, more so than any other is capable of?"

She nodded.

"The price of love is pain, Carissa. And it's a price I'm gladly willing to pay"—he kissed her temple—"both where you're concerned and where they're concerned." He fell silent for a beat before asking, "Do you understand?"

"Not in the slightest. Frankly, I'm not certain I'll ever understand you."

"One day you will." He lifted their joined hands and tapped on her wedding ring with his free hand. "But promise me you'll keep track of this."

Carissa studied the simple band, glimmering faintly from the camp's lanterns and fires. It seemed a strange request. Did he think she'd lose it? "Of course, Elon."

He nodded and rose, pulling her up with him. "Thank you. We'd best rest before Algernon returns."

Carissa released a pent-up sigh, glad that he would return. "But what about your burns? Have you tended to them?"

Elon shook his head. "I came as soon as I knew you'd arrived."

Which meant they'd been hurting him right until he'd come to her. Carissa felt the familiar burn of anger sear her skin but suppressed it. As much as she'd love to punish those men, that wasn't what Elon needed right now.

"Come. I'll tend your wounds."

She began to tug him into the camp, but Elon pulled her back. Before she could question his actions, he released her hand to pull off his shirt and handed it to her. "Aren't you forgetting something?"

Carissa glanced down at her nearly bare torso. That could have caused quite the commotion.

She accepted Elon's shirt and tugged it over her head. "What about my shirt?"

Elon picked the remnants of the bloodied material off the ground. "I'll discard it later."

She nodded and marched into the campgrounds—fully clothed, this time—with Elon in tow. Only a few people were up, mainly men keeping guard.

She glanced at Elon and struggle to tamp down on her emotions as fury swept through her. She could see his burn wound clearly now that they'd entered the camp. The burn was shining with moisture, surrounded by dead, white skin.

Elon squeezed her hand, and she realized she'd come to a stop. "It's alright, Carissa."

No, it wasn't. But Carissa swallowed her words. "Did they use Nephesh?"

He nodded once. "Likely it will heal by morning, so you needn't tend to it if—"

"Of course I'll tend to it." Carissa resumed walking. Elon had taken care of her more times than she could count. Even if she couldn't help him heal faster, the least she could do was alleviate his pain.

After a few minutes of walking, she slowed. Were they sleeping on the wagon again? Or did they have their own tent?

Carissa glanced back at Elon, and he grinned. "I would have tried to stop you from wandering about camp earlier, but you seemed so determined to go... somewhere."

"If you weren't injured, I'd slap you right now."

His grin widened a notch before he pulled her into a tent they'd just passed. There were two cots shoved against each other and coated in blankets and cushions.

Carissa positioned him in front of the cot before pressing his shoulders down. "Sit."

He sat back and nodded. If not for the amusement flickering in his eyes, she might have described him as docile. "Yes, m'lady."

After ensuring he'd stay put, Carissa left to find clean rags and salve. She didn't want to ask the caravan members for the supplies—particularly after they'd mobbed her—and had to resort to searching through the barrels, crates, and bags they used for storage.

She wet the rags with the stream water before returning to the tent. After having Elon lay down, she spread the salve across his chest, taking care to put as little pressure on his burn as possible. Then she laid the wet rags over his chest.

She placed the last rag and stepped back. "How does that feel?"

He smiled until his eyes crinkled. "Much better."

She went to the tent flap and began to pull it close but stopped to stare out into the darkness. Algernon was somewhere out there. And the yare wolves.

She glanced over her shoulder at Elon. "You said Algernon would return?"

Elon nodded. "Before morning."

"So you know about Kybelle?"

Any remnants of amusement fled his expression. "I do."

"He blames you, you know."

"Yes. I know."

Carissa felt a knot ball inside her chest. "And what will you tell him?"

"That I'm sorry."

She pulled the tent flaps close, tying the strings on the canvas together. "Was this what you were warning him about? If he decided to join us?"

"Partially."

Partially? There was more? Carissa blew out the candle on the stand before joining Elon. "What else were you referring to?"

Elon let out a slow breath. "Just events that may or may not happen."

"Elon. I honestly can't conceive of a less vague answer that you could have given me."

He chuckled, though it sounded too stiff to be completely sincere. "I'm aware, Carissa. But I don't wish to speak too soon and tamper with the future. If it doesn't happen, you don't need to know. If it does, you'll know soon enough."

Carissa sighed and inched closer to him. "Very well. I don't understand, but I'll trust you."

"Thank you." He wrapped his arm around her shoulders, though he didn't pull her so close that she touched his chest. "Now sleep. I suspect that once Algernon returns, we won't get much rest."

***
Author's Note: Read the sneak peek at your own risk.
P.S. I'm sorry it's late!!!