Leading the Blind: Part 1

Two Days Later

How she was still alive was beyond her. Carissa knew from her time in Zonah that the human body could be incredibly resilient, living on even when one was perpetually in pain. Each step was a miracle given how she could barely keep upright. She even doubted she'd have enough energy to draw her next breath, yet somehow she managed.

She'd reached a road and was trying to be grateful for the smoother traveling, but it was difficult, with pain flaring in her joints, with the agony from her wounds sapping her energy, with each step becoming more challenging than the last.

When the city first came into view, her knees weakened in relief, and she barely managed to catch herself against a tree. The bark scraped against her inflamed forearm, and she bit down on her lip to stifle a scream.

When the pain subsided, a coppery tang filled stung her mouth. Her teeth must have pierced her lip. Now she'd have to be cautious whenever she ate food, lest her lip start bleeding again. At least until Elon healed her.

Elon. The thought of him stirred up confusion, even pain, but not anger. The past three days had made her acutely aware of how much she'd come to depend on him. Whether or not she liked it, he'd become an integral part of her. She was looking forward to his healing caresses, his gentle embraces, his ridiculous flirtations, and even his vague warnings. In fact, the worst part of the past few days wasn't her exhaustion or physical injuries.

It was Elon's absence.

She staggered into the town, pushing past the pain. Most of the buildings were composed of wooden boards haphazardly nails together. The nails themselves were brown with rust. There were no glass windows or stone roads. A myriad of smells clashed together in a riotous mix: the sour smells of vomit and urine mingling with that of ale, pastries, and floral perfume.

Carissa leaned against the side of the building as the last of her strength abandoned her. What was this place? And where was Elon? How long until she would be back with him?

"I haven't seen you around these parts."

Carissa swung her gaze to the right. A man watched her with his muscular arms folded, the hair at his temples graying.

"With that short hair, I would have thought you were a man if not for your figure. How much?"

She shoved off the building, though doing so nearly made her vision turn black. She knew from her time in Zonah that it was important to appear strong in front of men like him. "Not for sale. Take your money elsewhere."

"You're a feisty one, eh? Playing hard to get? If you're worried I can't pay enough for your services, I assure you—"

"Why, Jalian!" A woman swept in front of Carissa, the cut of her dress identifying her as a nightwoman. "I thought I was your favorite nightwoman."

"Course you are, Dove, but a man's got to have a bit of variety."

The nightwoman tutted. "And preying on a married woman? Shame on you."

The man tipped his head back and laughed. "Married? No married folk live here. You know that. Any woman is fair game."

Carissa swallowed back the bile souring her mouth. To think that this had once been her life.

"As you said, Jalian, she's new." The nightwoman picked up Carissa's hand, her skin smooth and smelling of roses. She pointed out the plain golden band on Carissa's finger. "See? Married." The woman spun around and offered Carissa a soft smile. "Men. If only they stopped thinking about what they wanted long enough to pay attention to the details. Do you have a room to stay at, dearie?"

Carissa glanced at the nightwoman's dress, and her heart cramped. Though she felt pain on the woman's behalf, she wasn't fool enough to accept offers of room and board. She hadn't the money, and she wasn't about to let herself become indebted to another nighthouse.

"I have a place to stay for the night," Carissa answered. And she did have a place to stay, she was certain of it... She just had to find it. Could Elon have left her a clue somewhere to guide her? Another note?

The woman clasped Carissa's hand between both of hers. "And where is that? I can't imagine you've already found safe housing."

The man cleared his throat. "She'd be safe in my lodging."

The woman rolled her eyes. "It's men like you that I'm trying to protect her from."

"Why, I'm gentle as a lamb. And it doesn't seem you feel the need to protect yourself from the likes of me."

"But I'm not married. And I don't have the innocence that this young lady does." The woman patted Carissa's hand.

Innocence? Carissa nearly choked on a laugh. After Iver, she'd never thought she'd hear that word applied to her again.

"So where did you say you were staying, dearie?"

"Wherever my husband wants me to stay. He said he came through here before me." Carissa felt hope swell within her. "Have you seen him?"

"There was a man that passed through here a while ago, but I'm certain he's not your husband." The woman patted her hand as she would that of a child, and Carissa found it ironic that she was now the recipient of her pity.

"Why do you say that?"

"The man was positively a raving lunatic! I've never heard such outlandish claims." She snorted. "The King of Nysia! Ha!"

The man behind them chortled. "I remember him! We poked quite a lot of fun at him before he disappeared."

But their laughter had been reduced to a distant buzz. "This man—where did he go?"

The woman sobered. "As he said, dearie, the man disappeared. You're not saying he's your husband, are you?"

"He is."

"Oh. I'm so terribly, terribly sorry."

"It's all right. He'll come for me eventually. Or I'll keep following him until we're together again."

The woman opened her mouth, then pursed her lips, as if preparing to impart bad news. But then she smiled, though Carissa caught a hint of condescension in her expression. "Of course he'll come back for you. But until then, let's think about finding you a place to stay."

It seemed she'd also earned the title of Lunatic. At least Elon was as well; she was in good company. "As I said, I have lodging."

The woman let out a long sigh, muttering something that sounded like "poor pet." She patted Carissa on the hand once more before dropping it. "Of course, dearie. Tell you husband hello for me." She paused for a moment, as if she expected Carissa to change her mind. Then she walked down the street, tittering and waving at the men who called out cat calls.

The man, Jalian, flashed her a wolfish smile. "I know you were lying to Dove. I have just the place for you, you know. And it won't cost you a single coin."

But it would cost her something else, something that was far more precious than coin. "As stated, my husband is expecting me somewhere." A bit of a stretch, but it was true. He just wouldn't be there in person. "Have a good evening."

Carissa shoved off the building, and darkness narrowed her vision into a tiny funnel. She breathed deeply, until the darkness receded, and took another step.

But she was weaker than anticipated, and her leg gave way with the added weight. It felt as if she were disconnected from her body, watching from afar as her body crumpled. She was too weak to catch herself, and the ground rushed toward her head.

Then darkness. 

***

Author's Note: I'm running late, so I haven't written a sneak peek. However, I think I can manage to whip one up if enough people say "pretty please." 😉 You wouldn't believe how much easier it is to write a sneak peek when I know there are readers who would really like it. 

UPDATE: Alright, I can resist 'pretty please's. And I even got puppies eyes and cherries on top, so there you go. Anyhow, you can find the sneak peek in its usual spot. ;)