Surrounded

Elon's body trembled from the force of the blow, and he sucked in a breath, never removing his eyes from hers.

Carissa's lungs refused to draw another breath. True, Elon couldn't normally be injured, but the Scythe was made of Esmerian metal. How badly was he wounded? "Elon?"

His grip on her tightened as he rolled both of them to the side, avoiding another blow from the Reaper's Scythe. His smile was brief and tight. "I'm fine."

And then he drew away from her, leaving a rush of cold air in his place. Through her hazy vision, she saw him lift his sword to deflect the Reaper's Scythe. The back of his shirt was dark with moisture, clinging to his form. But was it damp with sweat or blood?

Someone gripped her under her arms and dragged her away from the fighting. Carissa glanced over her shoulder and saw a beard obscuring the lower half of the man's face. Though his features were indistinct, it was obviously Algernon.

He set her against a stone wall and remained by her side. Carissa looked up just as Elon plunged his sword into the Reaper's chest. Elon pivoted before the Reaper's body had even thudded to the ground and strode towards Carissa before kneeling by her side.

She gripped his shoulders and tried to turn him so she could examine his back. "Are you hurt?"

He turned for her. "I'm fine, Carissa."

Even as close as he was, her vision refused to clear or cease swaying. She placed her hand on his back, and when he didn't stiffen in pain, she slipped it underneath his shirt. Though his skin felt damp, it was smooth and unblemished. He hadn't been hurt.

Elon turned back to face her. "Are you satisfied?"

"No." She placed her hand against his cheek. "If Esmerian steel could cut you, that blow would have killed you."

He swept his thumb across her lower lip, and her breath caught from fear as much as pleasure. "Perhaps it could have killed me, but it was going to kill you." Before she could scold him again, he lightly touched her head. "I'll need to find some water and heal you. I think your head will sooner get worse than better."

Algernon cleared his throat. "Then what do you propose?"

Elon settled Carissa into his arms, and her body became so stiff at his touch it was a wonder he could hold her. Then he rose. "After I heal Carissa, we'll find the Nephesh and destroy it."

"Then what do we do?"

"You can arm yourselves and gather our horses. We'll need to make a hasty escape."

Algernon nodded. "Where should we meet?"

"At the city gates again. It's nearly morning, so the Yare wolves should go back to their dens."

"We'll be there." Algernon turned, grabbed a Scythe, and yelled for Kybelle and Lyron to follow him as he left the dungeons.

Elon went the same direction, though they traveled much more slowly. Carissa suspected Elon was trying not to exacerbate the pain in her head. As Elon's steps whispered against the stone, Carissa focused on his grip, mentally listing the ways it was different from Akar's.

By the time they'd left the dungeons, almost all of the tension had eased from her body. Elon wandered down the hallway. With its stone structure, this building wasn't nearly as luxurious as Iver had been. She thought back to Akar's room, and a shudder gripped her. It had appeared almost exactly like his room in Iver. He must have had the room replicated when he'd moved here and joined forces with the Reapers.