A Thirst for Vengeance: Part 1

"You son of an Esmerian—"

Carissa bolted upright in bed, her hand shooting to her waist for a weapon. Except she didn't have any.

Algernon stood in their tent, a bow aimed at Elon's chest. Elon stared back at Algernon, his gaze steady and cool.

Algernon was trembling so hard that she feared he'd release the arrow by accident. "You killed her."

Elon's eyes softened in sympathy. "I'm sorry, Algernon."

"Not sorry enough," he spat.

Algernon drew back the arrow, and Carissa positioned herself in front of Elon.

Algernon's eyes narrowed. "Stay out of this, Carissa. This doesn't involve you."

She glared back at him. "You're aiming an arrow at my husband. I'd say it most definitely involves me."

Elon gripped her waist and placed her on his other side, so he was shielding her from Algernon's aim. When she tried to move, so that she was the one shielding him, Elon merely tightened his grip on her waist. "If you shield me and Algernon fires, you'll be dead."

Algernon growled. "I wouldn't shoot her. It's you that deserves to die."

Carissa glanced at the tip of the arrow, and her heart nearly stopped. Its tip glowed a faint purple—it was made of Nephesh. And then Algernon released the arrow, letting it fly towards Elon.

Before Carissa could even gasp, Elon caught it midair and snapped the arrow between his fingers.

Algernon's expression had gone slack with surprise.

"It's an advantage of having foresight," Elon explained, tossing the broken pieces aside. "Now, if you're done—"

Algernon drew and nocked another arrow. "Stay where you are, murderer."

Elon clenched his jaw, the muscles in his cheeks hardening. "I know you're grieving, Algernon, but this has gone far enough."

"You deserve the pain Kybelle was forced to endure, the pain that lead to her death."

Elon loosed a ragged sigh. "I understand your anger. If you truly want to fight me, I'd suggest we do it elsewhere." He nodded towards Carissa. "Should one of your stray arrows hit her in here, I assure you my judgement will be swift and far from painless."

Algernon hesitated a moment before lowering his bow. "Agreed."

"No!" Carissa wrapped her arms around Elon's arm. "I haven't agreed to any of this. Perhaps Algernon shouldn't be allowed to use arrows with Nephesh."

Algernon clenched his bow more tightly. "If Elon has the capability of killing me, should I not be afforded the same opportunity?"

Carissa shook her head. "Stop. Just stop. This is completely unnecessary. Let's have Kybelle's funeral, and—"

"I won't allow Kybelle to rest until I've probably avenged her."

"Your fight is not with Elon."

Elon set a hand on her arm, quieting her. "Algernon, leave us. I will don a shirt and be outside momentarily."

Algernon's gaze settled on Carissa. "I'm sorry it has to be this way."

Carissa lifted her chin. "And I'm sorry that your grief has driven you to madness."

Algernon's eyes darkened, but he said nothing else as he disappeared through the tent flap.

Elon rose, pulling the dried rags off of his chest. The skin beneath was flawlessly healed, not a hint of red coloring it.

Carissa stood. "At least allow me to fight with you."

"Not this time, love." He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "Even if Algernon doesn't intend to hurt you, I won't take chances where you're concerned."

"You don't need to fight him, Elon. You owe him nothing."

"I don't intend to fight him. I'm going to let him fight me."

Carissa stared up at him, realization settling over her—and a feeling of horror followed it. "You're going unarmed."

Elon nodded.

"Elon. You can't—" She shook her head. "Just no. I understand that Algernon is upset, and I grieve the loss of Kybelle, but this is insanity."

Elon snatched a shirt from the nightstand and pulled it over his head. "If Algernon doesn't fight me now, then he will later. This is the best route, Carissa."

Carissa fisted her hands, anger and helplessness warring within her. Elon obviously wasn't going to be swayed by her on this. But if he somehow intended to sacrifice himself to satiate Algernon's anger, she wasn't going to hesitate to interfere.

Elon headed to the tent flap, and Carissa followed after him.

Algernon was waiting for them. "I suppose we ought to find a clearing."

Elon nodded. "That'd be wise."

"The trees are so thick here that the clearest spot would be the road." Algernon's gaze traversed Elon. "Where are your weapons?"

"I don't have need of them."

Algernon snorted. "Of course you don't." He muttered something about arrogance under his breath, and Carissa felt another burst of anger heat her chest. Whatever respect he'd gained last night had disappeared in her mind. This was pure foolishness.

Algernon and Elon began striding through the camp. The villagers were up and about, extinguishing fires, disassembling their tents, and hitching their horses. At the sight of Elon and Algernon, some stopped what they were doing and followed behind them.

Perhaps they could sense what was about to come, and it'd stirred their bloodlust. Distaste surged within her until she caught Lyron out of the corner of her eye. Not all of them were like that.

Lyron returned her gaze and neared her. In a hushed tone, he asked, "What's happening?"

"Elon are Algernon are fighting. Or rather, Algernon is fighting Elon." If only there was something she could do to stop them.

"Why? What happened?"

Carissa swallowed, her chest tight. "The yare wolves ate Kybelle. And Elon knew before he allowed us to leave camp."

Lyron paled a few shades. "She's... dead? But why? If Elon knew about it, couldn't he have prevented it?"

Carissa shook her head. "I don't know, Lyron. I just don't know."

Elon and Algernon slowed as they reached the edge of the road. Algernon strode to the middle of the road, but Elon remained by Carissa's side.

He cupped her face between his calloused hands. "I would tell you to stay... but I'm not sure you'd listen."

"I'm fine with listening, so long as it doesn't involve allowing you to do something sacrificial for Algernon's sake. I swear, if you let him kill you—"

Elon briefly pressed his lips to hers. "I have no plans to die today. With that said, use your own judgement. I can't save you from the consequences of your own decisions."

"You're as vague as ever, Elon."

His smile didn't quite reach his eyes. "I know. Just do what you think is right to the best of your abilities."

Algernon cleared his throat. "I'm waiting, princeling."

Elon drew a breath and stepped back from her. "I love you."

Why did that sound like a goodbye? Carissa wrapped her arms around herself, lest she be tempted to throw them around Elon and beg him to stay. "I love you too. Though should you become injured, I'll have some words for you after this."

Elon nodded and strode out onto the road towards Algernon, stopping a few feet away. "You're ready?"

"Yes." Algernon drew an arrow back. "Ready for you to die."

***

Author's Note: Once more, the sneak peek is a bit... Well, never mind. If you read it, you'll know what I mean. 😂