Making an Oath

"What did you mean by what you said earlier?"

Carissa startled awake, thudding her head against the back of the tree. She must have been truly tired if she'd fallen asleep in this position. Carissa wriggled her fingers and toes, causing painful tingles to shoot up her arms and legs.

The torches around the camp were bright against the Esmerian night, making shadows lap at her feet. Judging from the sound of his voice, the elder stood on the other side of the tree, facing Elon.

The chains shifted as Elon moved. "About your daughter?"

"Yes," the elder continued. "You said that I should spare the both of you for the sake of my daughter. Why? And what do you know about her?"

"I know that she's with child. And that she's unmarried."

The man sucked in a sharp breath. "Keep your voice down, boy."

"You need not concern yourself. No one overheard us."

"How can you be certain? The guards—"

"Haven't you heard the King of Nysia has the power of foresight? I see possible futures, and these futures give me knowledge that I wouldn't have otherwise, which is how I know about your daughter—and that no one has overheard us. Aside from my wife, that is."

"I see. So the stories are true."

"They are."

"And why should I release you for my daughter's sake? When her pregnancy is discovered, the people of this caravan will shame her for it. Do your propose that you could save her from that?"

"She will be saved from that regardless of what I do."

"How can you say that? How is that possible?"

"I'm afraid I can't reveal the particulars. But if you release us, we'll keep your daughter and her secret safe."

There was a long pause. Then the man muttered, "I would have you make an oath."

"Very well. I, Elon, bind myself to this promise: that I shall ensure both your daughter and her secret is kept safe."

"I thank you." Then the man's voice grew louder. "Guards, unbind this man and woman."

Footsteps padded against the dirt as others approached. "But Elder Lorem, the other council members—"

"I will speak with them and bear whatever consequences result from their release. Now unbind them."

The men did as told, unwinding their chains from around the tree until they were freed. Carissa staggered forward, massaging feeling back into her arms. Elon and the Elder rounded the tree, Elon taking the place beside her and the Elder standing before them.

The Elder spoke, "We have but two hours until dawn, which is when we'll break camp and move onwards. But for those two hours, I believe you'll find more comfortable sleeping arrangements in the wagons."

Elon nodded. "Thank you. We appreciate it."

Elon interwove his fingers with hers before pulling her forward. She stumbled along behind him, trying to get feeling in her wobbling legs. Whenshe saw the outline of a wagon in the dark, she quickened her pace. Her head was pounding and her eyes were bone dry; she would likely need more sleep if she were to survive whatever tomorrow had in store. Elon chuckled as he helped her climb into the back of the wagon.

She collapsed onto the wooden floorboards and felt the prickle of hay against her cheek. Not that she was complaining. The last thing she remembered was Elon settling beside her, his body warming hers.

***

"What are you doing in my wagon?"

Carissa stifled a moan. Her head still throbbed from sleep deprivation, but it was unlikely she'd get more anytime soon.

"Get out—both of you! You murderous, filthy Nysian scum!"

Elon yawned, shifting next to Carissa. "Give us a moment, dear lady. I believe my wife is still rousing herself from her slumber."

"I said get out."

Carissa opened her eyes just in time to see the end of a broom descend on them.

Elon lifted his forearm, blocking the broomstick. He glanced towards Carissa. "I think we'd best get up."

Carissa blinked the sleepiness from her eyes. The sky overhead was smothered in pale gray clouds. A woman stood at the end of the wagon, brown wisps of hair framing her youthful face.

She drew the broomstick back and hit Elon again. "Get out, you big oaf! When my father hears you've escaped—"

Elon took the beating without flinching. "Your father is the one who released us. And you might want to stop beating me with the broom."

"Liar! And I won't stop until you're out of my sight, out of this camp, and—" The sound of splintering wood crackled through the morning air. The young woman stared at the jagged, broken end of her broomstick, her mouth falling open.

Elon coughed into his elbow, though it sounded suspiciously like laughter. Then he turned to Carissa and brushed a kiss against her cheek. "Did you sleep well?"

Carissa sat up, brushing straw from her hair. "Well enough, until..." She gestured to the still shocked woman holding the broomstick.

Elon nodded. "We'll find a place for you to get more rest later. For the time being, we should probably get up." He slipped off the edge of the wagon before helping Carissa to the ground.

Most of the tents had been collapsed, reduced to large pools of cloth. Men and women bustled around with barrels and bundles of cloth, loading them into wagons. Even the children formed lines to pass supplies onto the wagons. The caravan was much more organized than Viltus and Elisa's camp.

Carissa breathed deeply, the air tinged with hints of smoke, cooked meat, and tea. Before she could ask Elon about food, Elder Lorem approached them.

The girl snapped out of her stupor and ran to him. "Father! I found the prisoners sleeping in a wagon—our wagon."

Carissa blinked. This was the girl Elon had promised to protect? Lovely. Just lovely.

Elder Lorem patted his daughter's shoulder. "Mera, I've talked to the council, and we've changed our minds."

"Changed your minds? But—"

The Elder pulled her closer and muttered something, his tone too low for her to hear. After a few minutes, the girl glanced over her shoulder at them, her face pale. It didn't take a scholar to guess that the Elder had informed his daughter of their deal.

The girl tossed the broomstick aside. "I can't believe you would agree to this on my behalf."

"I'm just trying to protect you."

The Elder settled a hand on her shoulder, but she shrugged it off. "Like you protected mother?" Before he could respond, the girl stormed away.

This girl, Mera, hardly seemed emotionally mature enough to bear a child. What had Elon gotten them into?

***

Author's Note: Sneak peek is... you know where.