Abandoned: Part 2

Author's Note: Esmerian forest pictured above.

***

Carissa's gasp snagged in her throat. He was leaving with Mera? Where? For how long? Even as the questions bubbled to her lips, she found that her tongue had forgotten how to form them.

Mera's eyebrows bounced up in surprise, then down in disapproval. "I–you–we—what?!"

"I promised your father I would keep both you and your secret safe—"

"I do not require your protection."

"—and I think it'd be best if I take you elsewhere. Especially as your pregnancy comes along—"

"I think not! I will not go anywhere with you, you oafish son of a—"

"Mera." Elder Lorem walked toward them, then looped his arm around hers. He cast a small smile at Elon. "Forgive me. I will speak to her."

Once they'd left, Elon turned toward Carissa. "I take it you have something you'd like to say to me?"

"I was just wondering why you didn't tell me about this earlier." He wanted to leave her? Right after what had happened? He'd only just come back. Surely this didn't have anything to do with Algernon or that he felt she was unfaithful. Did it?

"There wasn't an appropriate time." He closed the distance between them, tucked a lock of hair behind her ear. "But I have no doubt that you'll do an excellent job as leader in my stead."

Elon had his reasons—she knew he did—but she couldn't help but protest. "Surely you could remain a little while longer? Mera is still a long ways away from showing signs of her pregnancy. She at least has another month or a month and a half before her stomach shows any signs of swelling."

"It has to be now, Carissa." He must have seen her downcast expression for he tucked his fingers beneath her chin and lifted her face toward his. "I'll be back soon enough, within three days' time. And when we were betrothed, we spent a much longer period of time apart."

She leaned forward until he embraced her. "But that was before I loved you."

He pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

"Does it need to be tonight, Elon?" Given his passion the night prior, she'd been hoping he'd choose to bond with her sooner rather than later.

"Yes. Otherwise, I'll be tempted to remain with you come morning." He nuzzled her neck, his stubble tickling her tender skin.

Carissa giggled and drew back to meet his gaze. "Very well. I trust you, Elon."

A wave of sorrow washed over his features.

Carissa clasped his hand between with hers. "What's the matter, Elon? Do you believe me?"

The emotion vanished, a rueful smile taking its place. "Forgive me. I'm not anticipating leaving you, and I suppose it has me out of sorts."

He hadn't bothered answering her question. Unease stole her previous happiness. Whenever Elon had become upset before—seemingly without cause—something had always happened. "What is it, Elon? What's going to happen?" And why was he abandoning her to face it alone?

"You said you trusted me, Carissa. Did you mean it?"

"Yes."

"Then that will have to suffice, I'm afraid." He stepped back from her. "I should go speak to the people about my departure. Are you coming?"

"I think it best that I remain here." She was more frightened than she cared to admit—and frustrated that he wouldn't tell her. Though she continued to tell herself that he had his reasons, the statement became an empty mantra. As upset as she was, she didn't want Elon to experience the backlash of her emotions.