20

Alex

I'm laying in bed, close to falling asleep when my phone starts ringing, Yasmin's name coming up on the screen.

"Alex, y-you gotta come get us." She's talking fast, tripping over her words.

"Find someone else to take you home."

"No, seriously, Val and, um – you just need to come get us."

"Fine," I groan, hanging up and putting clothes on.

When I get to this dude Chrissy's house – the guy Amelia sits with in math – I see Yasmin and Santiago amongst some of the people outside. My heart leaps out my chest when I spot Amelia and Val behind them.

Yasmin didn't tell me I was taking Amelia home...

Yasmin falls into the backseat of my car and Santiago and Val help Amelia in. She looks a mess. She must be really drunk.

"Who's that?" Amelia asks, her voice loud as hell. "Who the fuck is that, Val?"

"It's Alex." Val looks worried, glancing at me warily. What the fucks going on?

"What's wrong with her?" I ask Santiago when he gets into the passenger seat.

"She took ecstasy."

"Are you fucking with me right now?" I turn around in my seat to look at her, sprawled across the center seat, holding Val's hand. It pisses me off even though I know Val wouldn't do anything with her.

"I'm sorry, Alex," Val whines. "I wasn't thinking when I gave her it but then it wore off of me and I realised what i've done-"

"You gave her it?" I shout. "You're a fucking idiot!"

"I'm sorry."

"I don't care if you're fucking sorry! Look at her!"

Amelia puts her hands over her ears. "Stop shouting. Where am I even?"

"Get out of my car, Val."

"No way-"

"Get out right now before I kill you."

"Alex we can't leave him here," Santiago says, making me angrier.

"Val, go."

"What am I gonna-"

"I don't care! Go!"

Val looks down, not meeting my eye again until he opens the door and gets out. I drive away as soon as the door is shut again.

"You're so mean!" Amelia screams. "How could you do that to him? You dick!"

"Shut up," I mumble.

"I hate you so much."

"Good."

Santiago rubs his temples. "I can't believe you just did that."

"Look what he did to her."

"It's not like he forced it down her throat."

"Ask her where she lives."

"Why don't you?" I shoot him a glare and he rolls his eyes. "Amelia, where's your house?"

"I dunno. I don't wanna go home."

"I know where she lives," Yasmin says and shows me directions.

"Why don't you just kick me out too and I'll walk? It's better than breathing the same air as you." She scoffs and my heart falls. She doesn't mean it, I tell myself, even though she probably does. I wanted her to hate me though, didn't I? This is a good thing.