28

Amelia

"Pretty please."

"I can't."

"Please with cherries on top."

I close my eyes for a moment. "Yasmin-"

"Please with hot chocolate sauce on top."

"I caaan't. I don't wanna see him."

"You don't have to. We're still friends, and it's a party at my house. So what if I happen to live with your ex? Just hang with me."

"Why do you want me to come so bad?"

"Because I love your company." She picks up a hamburger and a carton of chocolate milk. "Are you really gonna ditch our friendship because of Alex?"

"You are really hard to say no to." She raises an eyebrow, waiting for my answer and I run my hand through my hair, sighing. "Fine. I'll come."

Yasmin smiles big and claps her hands. "Yay. Do you wanna sit with us?"

"Don't push it." I give her a look and walk over to Red's table before she can make me feel bad about saying no.

+++

"No. Definitely no."

Yasmin pouts, lowering the drink in her hand. "I guess it's understandable that you're staying sober. You have a bad track record of drinking at parties."

"Tell me about it."

"Fuck off," Ray pushes Val's hand that holds a blunt away from him.

"Just try. Maybe it'll stop you from bein' so uptight."

"Go fuck yourself."

"Just try! Why you so scared?"

"This is peer pressure!"

"Ray's too young for that," Yasmin puts her arm around Ray, and he stands up.

"How am I related to you people?" He walks away into the crowd of drunk teens in the living room.

"Geez."

"I feel bad for him," I say.

"Why? He's moody as hell."

"Well, no offence but living with you guys must be hard work," I laugh.

"You did," Val leans in to us to hear better. "We weren't that bad, were we? I mean, I know Carlos can be so annoying but everyone else is chill."

"Yeah, Val. It was totally Carlos and not any other particular person."

He smiles and nods, then takes a draw from his blunt. Yasmin goes back to pointing out hot guys she wants to talk to, trying to decide which one to go for. Can you imagine being that confident and perfect that you can easily walk up to a guy and talk to them? It'd take me at least half an hour to talk myself up to doing it and plan out everything i'd say.

"Is Marco here?" I ask.

". Playing video games with Carlos y su novia."