36

Amelia

"I told you I just felt really weird and I couldn't stay in school."

"But you were with Alex? See that doesn't make sense because you were fine before you left in the morning." Dad picks up his menu, shaking his head.

"Mom," I look at her for help across the table.

"A, it's wrong if you skipped school and there was nothing wrong with you, but it's understandable after what happened with your head."

"Thank you." I smile, looking down at my menu. This is surprisingly my first time being at this diner, but everyone from school hangs out here because they apparently have great milkshakes. My parents wanted to take me out this weekend because they still feel bad about what happened with Johnny. I'm just praying I don't see people from school though.

"Hi, Amelia," I look up, seeing Montana. At least she's not a random bitch from school.

"Hey, do you work here?"

"Yep," she looks down at her uniform and I feel stupid for asking such an obvious question.

"You two know each other?" Mom asks, shooting a friendly smile at Montana.

"She's Val's friend."

"Nice to meet you; I'm Montana. Are you guys ready to order?" Once we've ordered and have our food, we are in deep conversation about Dads job when I spot Val and Jace come in with another guy who's name I don't know. Oh lord. Why did we have to eat here?

They sit in a booth and I curiously watch as Montana goes to them and they laugh about something. Val puts his hand on her waist, saying something up to her. They two are adorable together, but it's a shame they're such close friends. I can see from here that they're flirting, but that's normal for them I guess.

Leaning closer into the window, I hope he won't see me because I hate talking to teenage boys around my parents. Especially ones like Val and Jace who throw innuendos around like it's their first language.

When they get up to leave later, I sink even lower in my seat so they won't see me. Val goes to Montana while the others walk outside and he hugs her, excitedly lifting her off of her feet. Does putting their bodies against each other like that not bother Val? Maybe not because they're close like family. Even from here I can hear Montana say his name angrily and he puts her down. Her hands go to her stomach quickly as if she's about to be sick, then she turns around and Val walks out awkwardly.

Why are they so interesting to watch? I need a best friend like that.

"Can you take me to Alex's place?" I ask while we're driving home.

Dad sighs. "Why? You can see him tomorrow."

"His court date's tomorrow and he's worried so I want to be there tonight."

"Your eighteen year old boyfriend is going to court for selling drugs and doing other illegal things. Great."

"Dad-"

"He knows it's not as bad as it sounds. He also knows Alex is a great boy," Mom assures, shooting Dad a look.

"I just hope he treats you right, Amelia."

"He does."

"We know that. He looks after you, which I know because he took you home after that bad night you had and carried you to your room."