21

Amelia

"There's pizza today," Red says before closing his locker.

"Oh." I bite my lip, nervously.

"Feeling better? After the state you got in on Saturday."

"Yeah... Look, about that night-"

He puts his hand on my shoulder. "We don't need to talk about it. It's all cool."

"Okay. Well, um – did anything else happen? I can't remember much after taking that pill."

"Nothing big. You were just dancing around with Val and trying to climb onto the ceiling."

He starts to laugh and I laugh too, even though i'm completely embarrassed. I can't even remember how I got home, never mind things like that. I remember being in bed though... Or I think I do. My thoughts are all messed up.

"Something funny?" Red is pulled back, his hand being taken from my shoulder.

"Uh, yeah," Red narrows his eyes, confused by Alex who stares at him with the most intense glare.

It's then I remember something. Alex... He was there I think. Maybe I only remember him because I always think about him – no, I remember seeing his face. Why though? How?

Jace stands behind him, his hands on his back to push him away, but Alex doesn't budge. Instead, he throws a punch at Red, the impact making his head bang against the lockers behind him, and his back slides down until he's on the floor, clutching his face.

"Chrissy!" I shriek, getting down beside him. "Why would you do that?" I shout up to Alex.

He ignores me completely, not even looking at me; just focusing on Red. It affects me a lot more than it should. Am I really that unimportant to him?

"Come on," Jace rolls his eyes, pushing Alex the other way.

"What was that about?" I ask Red as he stands up, his face screwed up in pain.

"I have no idea."

"You need to go to the nurse." I take his arm and pull him down the corridor the same way Alex went. I can see him ahead of us, and I shoot daggers into his back, hoping he can feel the anger i'm sending him. Maybe he does, because he looks over his shoulder at us and makes eye contact with me, then looks at my hand wrapped around Red's arm, making me let go.

"He's mad jealous," Red says and I look at him.

"Maybe it's you he likes, 'cause he made his feelings towards me pretty clear."

"Wouldn't it have been you he hit then?" He laughs, then winces as if it hurt. We go into the nurses office and Red gets an ice pack for his cheek. I wait there with him while he sits, and then he suddenly starts whacking my arm, his eyes popping out at someone behind me. I turn around to see Yasmin walk in the door.

"Hi, Amelia," Yasmin smiles awkwardly.

"Hi-" Red hits me again and I shoot him an annoyed look. "You know Chrissy, right?"

She looks at Chrissy in a weird way, shoving her hands into her back pockets. "Yeah... Hi."

"I barely saw you at my party," Red says, still holding the ice pack at his face.

"Wonder why." She looks at me.

Am I missing something? Wait... "Did you see us kissing or something?"