20 - Genetically Perfect

Omg, you guys! Part 20! This is Joe and Kate's POV during Joe's DNA test. Enjoy! Don't forget to comment and vote if you like this!

Joe's POV

The smell of pancakes swept into my room as I opened my eyes to my still dark surroundings.

The sun hadn't come up yet, but I didn't mind getting up before sunrise, given the situation. Mum told Ned and Mia that she and I would be going for an early run this morning so they wouldn't follow us.

Today was the day I was getting my DNA tested. I was finally finding out whether my dad was really Sam or if it was Leo.

The last time this house smelled of pancakes was when mum and Ned got married.

She was so happy in those days, we had pancakes every day for weeks. Since then, she looks tired and down. I don't know why. Between you and me, I suspect rather strongly that things with Ned aren't going very well.

I think mum is starting to notice he doesn't really treat me nicely at all. This would be good news if our lives were different but, right now, my mother is too tired to deal with anything else, and I'm okay.

I got up, dragging my feet along the carpet towards my bathroom. The toothpaste made my mouth watery, and the glass of water I drank after burnt my throat with a minty taste.

I quickly put on some workout clothes, from the many I had to choose from because I play lacrosse. Downstairs, mum was already serving breakfast in her gym clothes, her hair down in a side braid.

"Morning, mum," I greeted.

"Morning, baby. Eat your pancakes, we have to go soon." We sat across from each other and made no attempt at a conversation.

We were still getting used to being up so early. Of course, she did seem to be a little more used to it, since she has to be up very early during filming and press travelling and so on.

When she was done, she fiddled with her fork on the table. She was nervous.

"Come on, mum, what's the worst that could happen?" I looked up at her, but she didn't meet my eyes.

"I mean if Sam is my dad, then fine! No problem. If uncle Leo turns out to be my dad, that's even better. Why are you so nervous?" She stopped fiddling and met my gaze.

"I wish it was that simple. I'm nervous because Leo and I haven't spoken of this in years, and if you turn out to be his... he'll never forgive me for not getting you tested earlier."

Kate's POV

"He'll blame me for keeping you away from his while you were growing up. Sure, he was around, but not nearly as much as he would've been if you were his son- if you are his son." I continued.

Great, now Joe is worried, too. His facial expression says it all. If Joe turns out to be Leo's, will he ever forgive me? Dear god, help me.

When we got to the hospital, we were the only ones there, apart from a couple in which the wife was giving birth and a man who came in for an emergency.

As soon as I saw the woman being taken to the nursery room, newborn in hands and husband by her side, I imagined what it would've been like to give birth to Joe with Leo by my side.

When Joe was born, I was alone. Too scared to call Sam, too embarrassed to call Leo.

The nurse was there with me the entire time, but my mother wasn't there, because Joe was born in America, and she was back in England. Now I've got an American kid with a father-identity crisis. Great!

The laboratory was cold, white, sterile. I held Joe's hand the entire time, but the truth is, I was more scared than he.

The needle went into his arm, and while I flinched at the sight, he didn't move an inch. Out came the needle and the nurse told us to wait outside, in the office.

Joe and I talked about school and about how he wanted a new phone to get our minds off the situation. Then the nurse came out with the test results a couple of minutes later.

"Ms Winslet?" She called.

"I'm here." The nurse came closer, too close. I could smell the rubber of her gloves and the hand sanitizer she had used to clean her arms.

"Would you like to hear this in private?" I glanced at Joe. He was as pale as I was. He needed to hear it from the nurse.

"No, here's fine." She glanced down at the paper as if to confirm something and then set her eyes upon mine.

Her face held no expression, this wasn't her problem.

"Joe Alfie Winslet Mendes," she proceeded. "Mother, Kate Elizabeth Winslet Bridges. Father, Samuel Alexander Mendes."

I felt the muscles on my neck relax and tensed back up a few seconds later, making me flinch. Joe's expression was blank.

"Thank you, Miss..." I inquired, getting up from my seat.

"Marin. Ashley Marin." She showed me a comforting glance, smiling shyly.

"Thank you, Miss Marin, for everything." I held out my hand and she shook it.

"No problem, Miss Winslet, I'm a huge fan." I flashed the nurse a smile and turned back to Joe.

His hands were cold as ice as I guided him towards the car, squeezing between rows of paparazzi and other patients.

I felt embarrassed for luring all these cameras into a hospital, the last place where people wanted to be bothered.

When we got to the car, Joe finally spoke.

"Well, now we know my dad really is Sam. Problem solved, right?"

"Right, darling, problem solved," I said, gripping the steering wheel to steady my thoughts.

After ten minutes of silent driving, I turned up the radio, but the music didn't help at all. In fact, it did the opposite.

I started sobbing, and so did Joe.

"Mum, I really wanted uncle Leo to be my dad," he sniffled, wiping his tears with the hem of his t-shirt.

"So did I, darling. I'm sorry."

It was ridiculous. Deep down, I knew I had to do something about it.

Whatever relief crying had brought me was wiped out as I opened the front door to our house, and my face turned black.

Another suspense ending! Hahaha, I'm so mean! Comment and vote if you like this story, I love you all!