44 - Tuna The Squirrel

Aaye! Here's part 2 for the last chapter. Enjoy! (Credits to @TheDawsonGirl for some hilarious ideas!)

Mia's POV

After two hours of Finding Nemo and half of Finding Dory, two half-eaten cheese pizzas, and a very hyped Bear jumping around, mum finally came back with a cranky Joe muttering something under his breath right behind her.

I swear that boy is gonna drive us all bonkers one day. It was 8 PM on a Friday night and uncle Leo was clearly exhausted.

"Hello, everyone," mum said as she put her purse down and removed her shoes.

She went over to uncle Leo and curled herself into his lap. I could see his hands sneaking around her waist and the sight brought back a memory I'd tried to suppress with all my might.

It was time to evacuate the area as soon as possible and to take my siblings with me because so help me god I will not put them through what I accidentally put myself and my poor ten-year-old brain through.

I smiled at my mum, giving her that telepathic nod.

"It's getting late. Come on, Bear, time for bed." He pouted, his little eyebrows all scrunched up and his bottom lip sticking out.

"I wanna stay, Mimi!" I gave him a warm smile.

"I'll read you a story, any one you choose."

He brightens up and jumps into my arms, making me stumble backwards and fall on the sofa behind me, disturbing Joe.

"Watch it, Mia!" He snarls at me.

I roll my eyes, struggling to contain myself from smacking him in the head in front of uncle Leo and my mum and making things worse.

"Sorry, Joe," I say through gritted teeth. "Don't you think it's time to go upstairs?" I nod towards the stairs, then towards our parents, giving him a look that should get my point across.

A question mark floats above his head, quickly becoming a lit lightbulb.

"Oh, yeah... let's go..." He says as he gets up, eying mum and Uncle Leo carefully before picking up his basketball and strolling upstairs.

I follow after him, explaining to Bear the innermost fingers of his little hands are his thumbs.

"These are called thrumbs?" He asks, staring at his wriggling fingers with wide eyes.

"Thumbs, Silly Bear!"

————

The kids stroll upstairs and I can finally focus on the tired bundle in my lap.

"Hi, babe," I say, softly stroking her cheek.

She moves around to look at me, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

"You're comfy," she sighs. "You'll be my new pillow." She declares. I chuckle, my mood lightening up and all worries washing away from me at that moment.

"I think I love you," I whisper into her ear.

"I love you a lot more than you believe." Silence.

"That's not up to discussion," I retort. She sighs.

Kate's POV

"What are you thinking?" He asks me, one eyebrow raised up in a familiar gesture.

"I'm plotting how I'll take over the world," I answer matter-of-factly.

"Oh, cool. Truth or dare?" He says. Oh, great.