Noticed

A pretty short chapter. This was a really long chapter originally, but I ended up breaking it up into 3 shorter chapters. It feels more organised that way. 

Hope you enjoy! Also, this chapter has not been edited. 

***

One week had passed; two weeks had passed and fortunately for me, I had not met my assailant again. Thinking about it though, it was more like I was his assailant not the other way around but considering I couldn't exactly think of what else to call him, "assailant" just ended up sticking. 

Unfortunately within those two weeks, I also didn't see my prince anywhere. The nurses also surprisingly didn't seem to know where he had gone. 

By the third week however, my luck began to pick up once again. 

"What are you staring at?" Emma asked as she took a seat beside me at the library. 

"Do you think I should change career paths?"

"What's that?" Emma asked, looking beyond surprised. 

"I'm wondering if I should change career paths."

Emma looked sceptical but tilted her, encouraging me to continue.  

"I have been thinking, and I think I would make a pretty good doctor."

Emma sighed before punching me with all her might.

"Stop being stupid. Law has been your passion since you were a child. Are you really going to give up what you like for some guy that doesn't even know about your existence?" 

"Who said I'm giving it up for some guy. I just think I would be a better doctor than a lawyer." 

"Azra..."

"Alright fine, I do want to change because maybe that way I'll have more opportunities to see my prince."

"Azra..."

"Also, who knows, maybe that way we'll also have something in common. I could ask him for some help regarding my work and he could become my tutor and we could fall in love and get married and have adorable little babies and..."

"Azra..."

"Isn't it a great plan?"

"Azra, no. You're beyond deluding yourself now. I'm really worried about you."

I knew I was being delusional and my dreams were and could only ever be dreams, but her words still somehow hurt me. 

"You love law and you're good at it. The last time you took a science subject was in year 10. Going back into it would be chaos. If you genuinely want it then I would support you to the end of the world, but I can't just watch you throw away your dreams for some guy." 

As much as I sometimes hated it, Emma was very mature. She often made me feel more immature than I already was but I still couldn't imagine my life without her. Whenever I was about to get myself into some sort of sticky situation, she was always around to fix everything up before it got messy. I really couldn't imagine my life without her. 

Feeling emotional, I pulled my best friend into a tight embrace. 

"If you start getting all sentimental and crap, I'm breaking up with you," Emma said, making us both break out into a loud laugh. The librarian who was stacking books in the next aisle clearly wasn't happy with the noise we made because she came over to us and told us in the nicest way possible to leave. Without further ado, we left the library.

"Oh, before I forget, I won't be able do any volunteering tonight," Emma said.

"Why?" I pouted. 

"I have a meeting with one of the interns for my assignment so I'm going to have to meet him," she explained.  

With that, we bid our goodbyes and off I went to my favourite place in the world: my prince's castle... or more commonly known as the hospital.  

*

Everything started off perfectly normal.  I started serving the patients their meals and then read the children some stories and played some games with them. I then went to have my usual chat with the nurses at the receptionist desk. 

As I was casually chatting away with the nurses, someone called out to me as they came to stand beside me, "Excuse me?"

I turned to face the speaker only to come face to face with my prince. 

My breath hitched and my heart began to race harder and faster. As we deeply stared into each other's eyes, my prince suddenly placed his hand on my cheek and declared his love for me. He then got on one knee and told me that I was the woman of his dreams and that he had been waiting his whole life for me...

I was rudely awaken out of my daydream by a phone being held in front of my face. 

"This phone was right behind you on the floor. Is it yours?" 

I opened and closed my mouth like a stun mullet. Not being capable of saying anything, I simply took the phone out of his hands, making sure there was some sort of skin contact. I don't know why I did that but realising this was probably my one and only chance to actually have any physical contact with him, I took the chance. And for record, his hands were even smoother than they looked. How a doctor had such smooth skin would forever be a mystery to me. 

My prince didn't say or do anything after that and simply walked away. If it was possible, I wouldn't have left my ecstasy-filled bubble at all but the nurses' giggles reminded me I wasn't alone. 

"You know," one of the nurses said, as I leaned against the desk and started squealed, "Doctor Yates must be pretty blind to not see you blatantly follow him around the hospital all the time." 

I was too ecstatic to reply.

"I know," another nurse called out as she sorted out her paperwork, "you'd think he would have filed for a restraining order already but he doesn't even know she's always around him."

"It's not like I'm trying to harm him," I said, my wide smile refusing to disappear. "I just want to see him once every while."

The nurses all laughed. 

"You come to the hospital every day just to see him. Don't think we didn't notice how down you were these past few weeks because he was away." 

They were right, but I refused to acknowledge them. Instead I rolled my eyes and looked down at the jewel that granted me contact with my prince. 

"I'm going to buy a jewel case and forever preserve this phone. My great grandchildren will forever have a beautiful bed time story to listen to every night."

As I continued to stare down at my new lucky charm, a thought suddenly occurred to me.

"Wait, this isn't even my phone!"