Completed Puzzle

Merry Christmas to everyone who is celebrating it. I hope you all have a wonderful day filled with happiness!

 I hope you all have a wonderful day filled with happiness!

***

This chapter has NOT been edited.

***

My heart stopped. I turned to my mother with wide eyes before turning to River. He had a large smile on his face as he stood up and walked to stand beside me. I then turned to see Nicholas and his parents all looked like they had just seen a ghost. 

I didn't know what to think. I didn't even feel like what had just happened was reality until River clasped my hands into his right in front of everyone. 

The rest of the night went by with my mother's friends congratulating us and me walking around like a zombie. Don't get me wrong, I was happy. No, I was ecstatic. But it all felt too good to be real. 

Finally everyone left besides the Yates. 

"What just happened?" Linda asked my mother, her face still white. 

"River explained to me that the Doctor Yates the nurses were talking about was him," my mother laughed. "He also said that he feels the same way about my daughter. It explained why she was so upset last night." 

I turned to River, "When in the world did you find the time to do that?"

He simply smiled. 

"He said that?" Linda asked, turning to her nephew. Although she had a smile on her face, her eyes were icy. I felt a slight shudder go down my spine. 

"Whether it's Nicholas or River, it doesn't matter," my mother said to Linda, "we'll still be family. It would have been a shame if my daughter hadn't given her heart to one of the Yates." 

"Of course," Linda grinned. Have I ever mentioned that she creeped me out? Everything about her screamed "fake" and I couldn't understand how my mother didn't see it. She was amazing at seeing through everyone's facade but for some reason, she liked Linda. 

"We will get going then," Greg said, shaking my father's hand. 

Nicholas walked towards River and I and for a second I thought he would start a fight but fortunately, he didn't say a word. He simply shook River's hand before walking out the door. Linda and Greg followed suit. 

"I guess I'll take my leave too," River said but before he could utter another word, my mother pulled him to the lounge room and told him to take a seat. 

"How long has this been going on for?" my mother began her interrogation. I went to sit beside River.

"Is this really necessary?" I asked my mother. She shushed me before turning her attention back to River.