Cuddles

This chapter has NOT been edited.

***

I heard the buzzing of everyone's voices as they ran to hide in fear. My fear on the other hand paralysed me. I was frozen in my place with shaky legs as my heart felt like it would beat right out of my chest. 

Daniella violently shook me, trying desperately to wake me out of my paralysis but it didn't work. All I could do was stare at the scene before me. 

Theo had the lady tackled to the floor as blood gushed out of River's arm on the opposite the struggling police and criminal duo. Doctors and nurses rushed to River's side as River tried desperately to convince them that he was fine. It was hard to believe that to be the case when blood was literally pooling out of his arm. 

Despite it being a traumatic experience for so many of us, it didn't even take an hour to clean up the whole mess. Those who witnessed the incident were given free psychologist sessions, the criminal was taken away to the nearest police station and River was in a surgery to remove the bullet from his arm. The doctors strongly persisted that it was nothing serious and that the bullet hadn't hit any important nerves however, I was not convinced. 

"Can we see him?" I asked for the millionth time. 

"I told you he's still in surgery," the patient doctor replied.

"If it's nothing serious, why is it taking so long?" I persisted. 

"Azra," Daniella sighed, "sit down and take a deep breath. The doctors are bound to know of his situation better than us."

I did as she said but not even seconds later, I was back on my feet. I was too impatient to sit around and wait. 

"This is unbelievable. This hospital needs to upgrade their security as soon as possible. Can you believe that someone got shot here? It's insane!" 

"I agree," said a companion who was just joining us. "It is insane. How is he?" Nicholas asked, directing the question to Daniella this time. 

"Apparently he's fine."

"We'll be taking serious measures to fix our security so that something like this never happens again. I'm still shocked that someone got shot in our hospital. And our family member nonetheless." 

Daniella scoffed under her breath beside him and it didn't seem to go by unnoticed. In fact, Nicholas seemed more than annoyed by her response to his words. 

"Do you have something to say?" Nicholas asked her.

Daniella rose one of her perfectly plucked eyebrows, "I have a lot to say but I'm sue you wouldn't want me to say it in front of all these people, would you?"

Nicholas opened his mouth to speak but he seemed to see something on Daniella's face that no one else seemed to have noticed as his face slightly paled and he closed his mouth back without a single peep. He leaned back in his chair, anger dancing in his eyes. 

I was about to ask what that was all about but finally the doctor in charge of River's surgery stepped out, with nothing but a face filled with smiles. 

"He is fine," she informed us. "He might not be able to use his left hand for the time being, but that aside, he's perfectly fine." 

I sighed in relief. "When can we see him?"

"You can see him whenever you like. He's unconscious at the moment though, so maybe wait for him to wake up first," she smiled. 

We thanked her and walked towards the room River was taken to. 

"Today was a pretty traumatic day so you can take as long as you like off from work," Daniella said to me. I smiled in response, feeling grateful. After everything that happened today, I would need at least a week off before I got over the nightmare that was today.  

"Also, if you need to speak to anyone, I'm all ears," she said. Before I could reply, she walked into River's room. 

Daniella seemed to be a lot nicer than I had initially thought her to be. In fact, working with her made me see her in a new light. She was a hard working woman and although she had a bit of an attitude, I didn't hate her for it. But despite my initial opinion on her changing, I still did not trust her. I had after all witnessed her speaking  in favour of taking away what was rightfully River's. 

"You're awake?" I heard Daniella shriek. I ran in behind her to see a sheepish looking River sitting up in his bed, a small smile playing on his lips. "Shouldn't you be out cold?"

He winced at the loudness of her voice and shook his head. 

"I woke up about a second ago," he said, his voice hoarse. 

"Do you want us to leave so you can get some rest?" I asked, walking in closer towards him. 

He looked at me with a smile that made me feel like everything had disappeared in the world besides us. He extended out his hand and I took it without a second thought. In that instant, I felt like all my worries in the world had disappeared. It was only us and I was happy. 

"Are you alright?" he asked me. 

"You're asking me?" I slightly laughed. Somehow, as I continued to stare into his eyes, all emotions came crashing down on me and my slight laugh turned into a sob. 

I  shamelessly sat on the side of the bed and leaned into River's shoulder letting everything out. 

"Am I hurting you?" I asked through my sob.

I heard him chuckle before he started rubbing my back, encouraging me to let it all out. 

I don't know how long it lasted but by the end of it all, I felt exhausted. River moved a little to the side of the hospital bed and made room for me to lie down. I didn't even protest because at that moment, I wanted nothing more than to cuddle him to sleep. 

***

I'm not really happy with this chapter so I decided to upload the next one along with it. 

Have fun reading! :D