Chapter Nine: Rough Seas Ahead

It's been four days at sea, and so far, they haven't come across any other ships or storms. The crew was surprisingly nice to them seeing as they worked for the king. Marisa was asked to fill in for the cook when he had too much Bamboo, so she would cook a lot. Jim, Alexander, Jillian, Hanna, Mary, and Kelcy would help on the deck.

"Mary?" Alexander asked. "How did you get your name?"

"My mom named me Mary because that was her best friend's name growing up," Mary said. "Yes. That friend was your mother."

"Is that so?" Alex said. "My mom would sometimes talk about a girl from her childhood, but I never knew who it was."

They continued their work till it was time for dinner.

Marisa was in the galley cooking and preparing the food. As usual Larry, the cook had too much Bamboo that day. She liked cooking, so she was fine with it. They have

"Hey, Marisa," Zanara said. "Your cooking. Larry has too much bamboo again?"

"Do you even have to ask?" Marisa said with a laugh.

Then Alexander walked down.

"Hello, Marisa," Alex said with a smile. "What's for dinner?"

"Turtle soup and rum," Marisa said looking back at her. "Just the usual."

More people came down for dinner. Once Allen came down Zanara looked at him, and then on the floor.

"Zanara. How was your day?" Allen asked. "Why are you looking at me like that? What's wrong?"

"We need to talk after dinner," Zanara said looking to the side. "I have something I need to tell you."

Dinner went as usual. They had dinner, some of the crew drank too much rum, and got into fights. One of the crew members had a fiddle and played it on the top deck, and most of them danced. It was a clear night that night.

Zanara and Allen walked up to the bow of the ship and looked out at the horizon.

"What do you think of the captain?" Zanara asked.

"Well." Allen began. "He is a smart, strong, and capable captain."

"No." Zanara started. "I mean what do you think of him as a person?"

"Why are you asking me this?" Allen asked. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong," Zanara said. "Do you like the captain?"

"Yes," Allen said back. "He is a good man. What is this all about Zanara?"

"I will cut to the chase," Zanara said. "The captain and I want to get married."

Allen didn't say anything for a few moments. Then he started laughing.

"What's so funny?" Zanara questioned.

"I'm sorry Nar," Allen said between laughs. "You say this as if I didn't know. I'm your brother and the captain's first mate. I wouldn't have even needed the magic concoction I have with you to know that you fell for Quincy!"

"How long have you known?" Zanara asked shocked.

"Oh, not that long," Allen said sarcastically. "Only about nine years."

"I was only twelve then!" Zanara shouted. "I wasn't even sure yet! How could you have possibly have known?"

"Because I know you," Allen said with a smile. "And I know the captain."

It was silent for a few minutes, and then Allen spoke up.

"There is one thing I don't know." Allen started nervously. "Have you two... Ummm.... well..."

"NO!" Zanara snapped. "We have only bundled."

"I was just checking," Allen said looking at his sister's flustered face.

Allen gave his sister a hug, and her a kiss on her forehead.

"I could not be happier with who you fell in love with," Allen said with a big smile.

"You don't know how much that means to me," Zanara said hugging him back.

"I will be gaining a new brother," Allen said. "And hey. I might even be an uncle someday too."

"Maybe someday, but not yet," Quincy said walking up to them. "And I glad to hear you are happy about this."

"Who I am to argue with the captain?" Allen said with a fake bow.

"Allen!" Zanara said.

"I'm just kidding." Allen laughed. " I am happy for you both."

"Hey, Zanara!" Mary called. "Come here for a minute."

"OK, coming," Zanara called back.

She gave Quincey a short kiss on the cheek, and run to talk to Mary.

"You take better take care of her," Allen said.

"I will," Quincy said back. "On a different note. There is going to be a storm."

"I know. I saw the sky this morning, and can see the storm out there now." Allen said. "What are your orders Captain?"

"Keep a close watch on the sky, and when it hits, bring the sails in." Quincy said.

"Yes, sir." Allen said, and run off to tell the crew.

Then in less than three hours, they entered a huge storm. They crew bright the sails in so they wouldn't rip in the wind. The waves got bigger and rocked the ship. They began to take on water, and the weather still got worse. Then over the side of the ship, the could see a rogue wave coming straight at them.