Chapter 4

Kyoya and Haruhi walked in through the door and the door closed behind them. The two were met with a rather exhilarated thrill and squeal. They instantly recognized that voice and dismissed the nurse from the room. 

"Haruhi! I missed y-! Owowowow!" Ryoji yelled as he laid back in his bed.

Haruhi quickly hurried to his side and set him back down. "Dad, you're really a helpless idiot."

Ryoji laughed it off and leaned back against the bed. Haruhi and Kyoya set their belongings down to the side and pulled a seat towards the bed. He had a bandage on his head, his chest and appendage were wrapped in bandages, his leg was held up in a cast, and he had an arm in a cast. Despite the accident, Ryoji still had a smile on his face and the same carefree attitude.

"How're you doing, Dad?" Haruhi questioned.

"I'm perfectly fine. The physical therapy is going great, too," Ryoji replied with a smile. 

"We're glad to hear that," Kyoya said. 

Ryoji looked at Kyoya and smiled softly. His girly voice replaced by his usual male one. "I heard everything already, Kyoya." 

Haruhi and Kyoya stopped peeling the apples and looked up. The two faltered but Haruhi was back at peeling once again while Kyoya stopped to look at the man before him. His eyes were blank and held a serious expression. Ryoji shifted his gaze towards his daughter and looked at her in guilt.

"I'm sorry, Haruhi," he said. 

"For what?" she asked, continuing to peel.

"If it weren't because I was so careless, I wouldn't have gotten you into such a situation," he said. "For you to enter a marriage contract with a person that you don't even love...I failed as your father."

Haruhi placed the apple down and looked her father in the eye, an unwavering look in her eye. "Dad, I chose to enter this marriage contract and after all the things that Kyoya-senpai did for us, it's only appropriate. Besides," she said, handing the plate of apples to him. "It wasn't your fault for getting into the accident."

"Haruhi's correct," Kyoya said, shifting his glasses. "Judging from the cameras and video footage, it was the driver's fault. Don't worry, we've already got the compensation money from him and everything else."

The two sweat-dropped and Kyoya's ever-so relentless and merciless attitude. 

Ryoji's set his smile on Haruhi once more and sighed inwardly. "Haruhi, are you sure you're fine with this marriage?"

"I am," she replied.

Kyoya widened his eyes in surprise at her immediate response. 

"If it's Kyoya-senpai, then I don't mind. Besides, this marriage brings benefits to the both of us," Haruhi said and looked at Kyoya with a smile. "Right, Kyoya-senpai?"

"That's right," Kyoya said.

Haruhi smiled at her senior and Ryoji saw it. As she smiled, Kyoya's lips curled up for a brief moment before disappearing. As a father, nothing went unnoticed to him when it concerned his daughter. Kyoya could lie to others but he couldn't lie to Ryoji.

"I'll peel it now," Kyoya said.

"Understood," Haruhi said, handing him the knife. Haruhi turned to her father and tilted her head to the side. "Dad, you okay?"

"H-Huh? Ah, yeah! I'm fine!" Ryoji exclaimed.

Haruhi looked at him questioningly and laughed. "You're so weird."

"Being weird is a good thing, is it not?" Ryoji pouted. "I'm fine now so Haruhi, talk to me about school. You've been eating well, right? You haven't been staying up all night."