Chapter 9

Haruhi's shoulder-length hair tucked neatly into a bun with a braid acting as a headband. Her bangs were neatly swept to one side as a decorative flower with pearls was attached behind her ear. She wore a champagne organza gown with a sweetheart neckline and a beaded empire waistline. The dress trailed behind her and she opened the large mahogany doors, revealing Ootori Yoshio. 

"Fujioka Haruhi, it's a pleasure to meet you," Yoshio smiled, his head nested between his folded hands. 

Haruhi gulped and bowed to him, just like she was taught. "Likewise, Ootori Yoshio-sama. It's a pleasure to be able to finally meet you."

 Yoshio smiled. "Please take a seat."

Haruhi nodded her head in acknowledgment and did as he said. The server in the room pulled back the seat and Haruhi sat down. Her body was tense and rigid as she looked at Yoshio who was eyeing her. 

"Are you enjoying your new life at the mansion?" he asked.

"Yes, I am," she replied. "Much thanks to you."

"That's a good thing to hear. The servants haven't been bothering you, right? The food is also fresh and delectable to your tastes, right?" Yoshio questioned.

Haruhi, taken aback by his concern, replied slowly. "Y-Yes. Everyone's nice to me and I really enjoy being here."

"If you're happy, then that's fine."

Haruhi widened her eyes. "You said the same words that he said," she murmured.

"Excuse me?" Yoshio repeated, not understanding.

"No, it's nothing, Yoshio-sama," she shook her head. "I was just curious as to why you're asking me such questions. The last time we met was at the Ouran Fair, we didn't have much of a nice impression on one another."

"Quite the opposite, Haruhi," he said. "You defending Kyoya made quite the impression on me."

"Huh?"

"That third and selfless son of mine always thinks nothing about money and business, most likely due to my strictness and harshness with him," Yoshio chuckled sadly. "Having someone stand up for him was a first and moreover, after Kyoya came into contact with you, he seemed to become more human."

Haruhi remained silent, overwhelmed at the sympathy in Yoshio's voice.

"Excuse me for asking this but, why don't you say this to Kyoya-senpai himself?"

Yoshio laughed. "Even if I told him this, I doubt he'd listen. The only two people that he actually listens to is you, Fujioka Haruhi."

"Me?"

"Yes, you," Yoshio smiled. "He never does anything for anyone and if it weren't for you, he'd be going around gaining benefits and the like each time. Having you by his side really calmed him down and made him realize what joy life brings."

Haruhi twidled with her hair and looked down. "That might be true but even without me, there's bound to be a time when he'll come to realize it."

Yoshio chuckled. "Haruhi, you're as dense as they say you are."

"Excuse me?" 

"The only reason why he's changed to who he is now is partly due to the Host Club, but more so, it's you. As a commoner, you offer a different view of opinions from us nobles. Kyoya, knowing that, took an interest in you and began hearing out the different advice from different people. Being able to acknowledge other's opinions is one characteristic of a true leader."

"But that doesn't make me anything special."

"Fujioka Haruhi, you're more than just an acquaintance to him and you've realized that already, haven't you?"