Chapter 16

"It's a pleasure to meet you again, Fujioka Haruhi-sama," he bowed and flashed a smile.

"Thank you for accompanying me throughout last night," Haruhi thanked him. "I really appreciated it."

"Speak no more of it," the butler replied. "It was my duty."

"But what are you doing here?" Haruhi questioned.

"He's a new butler I hired," Kyoya walked up to her and held her hand from behind. "You seemed to like his company so I allowed him to be your personal bodyguard."

"The name's Inukami Keith," he bowed. "It's a pleasure to be serving you from here on out."

Haruhi widened her eyes in surprise at his sudden words. He smiled up at her, revealing his alluring emerald marine eyes. He had white shaggy curled hair that was braided down his back. His bangs were shifted to his left in the middle. He wore a white suit jacket with white buttons along with a pair of white suit pants. Inside, he wore a black collared shirt with a white necktie. He had on a pair of black leather shoes and black gloves that stuck tightly to his hand. Just from his attire, she could tell that he was different from the other butlers she's seen. Not to mention, she could see that the other maids and butlers in the mansion paid respect to him. 

"You didn't need to do that, Kyoya-senpai," Haruhi turned to him with a conflicted expression.

"I did it because I wanted to and also because my father, brother, and sister agreed with it," Kyoya explained. "Now that you're formally introduced as a lady of the Ootori family, having a bodyguard is expected. Besides, he's a rather capable person. He's the winner of this year's  competition at Ouran's adjoining school for training butlers. There's not a person who doesn't know of him."

"I don't deserve such high compliment," Keith bowed.

"I don't usually compliment people but when I do, just accept it with no objections."

"Understood, Kyoya-sama" he bowed.

"Wait, wait, wait," Haruhi interrupted the two. "So this guy who's a student at Ouran's butler school is my butler? Then what was he doing at yesterday's party?"

"Honestly, I was surprised, too, when I saw him at last night's party," Kyoya said. "To think that the number one butler of our generation was attending the Ootori group's party last night. I heard that he had rejected all the offers that those other aristocrats had offered him."

"It'd be boring if I were to serve a Master or Mistress that wasn't to my liking," Keith said.

"You should be glad that such a man is willing to be your butler," Kyoya smiled. "He personally came up to me and did a dogeza."

"Dogeza?!" she yelled, shocked.

"I just really wanted to become Haruhi-sama's butler," Keith smiled innocently, and for a second, Haruhi could see a tail wagging behind him. "I hope you take care of me from now on, Haruhi-sama," he said, holding both of her hands in his.

Haruhi backed up with a rather irksome look and looked at Kyoya. "But there's really no need to have one, Kyoya-senpai" Haruhi continued to object.

Kyoya leaned into her and put a finger on her lips and smirked. "Are you going to object to my decision?"

"That's exactly what I'm doing," Haruhi pouted, unmoved by his charm.

"Well, you're going to have to deal with it," he said, taking a step back. "Besides, having someone to protect you while I'm not there will put me at ease."

"Why?" she questioned, not understanding. 

He looked away from her, a dark expression crossing his face for a split second. "Because there are people that target the nobility."