Chapter 1

Pant.

Pant.

Pant.

Leaning against the dirty wall, he tried to catch his breath. His hand firmly gripping the side of his stomach where the bullet had shot through. He was bleeding profusely for a long time now, since when he couldn't recall. Groaning, he looked around, his senses hyper alert. But the continuous blood loss wasn't helping. It was slowly beginning to dampen his senses. The grip of his other hand tightened on the handle of the gun he held and aimed it to nothing in particular. All that could be heard was the deafening silence of the night and the light trickle of the rain against the metal bins and the concrete ground.

His head began to feel light and his leg shook from carrying him for too long. Giving up, he leaned against the wall and slid down to the ground. He had dealt with far worse but this was the first time he didn't have any backup.

So, this is how I end? He thought scornfully. I never thought I would meet my make this way. And for what? What do I have to show for it? Nothing.

His thoughts held all the emotions that he never allowed himself to ever feel but since he was so close to dying, he didn't feel the need to stop the unwanted thoughts from invading his mind. Resting his head back, he gazed at the dark sky.

So Your calling me now? I know I'll go straight to hell. I guess the irony lies in the fact that You chose to make my death painful and meaningless. Maybe I deserve it. He scoffed and chuckled darkly to himself.

Of course, it was easy for him to give up. He had nothing to live for. All he did till now was survive. The only reason he continued to live his life the way that he wanted was because it held pleasure but not happiness. He was almost alien to that feeling. He knew now that fighting against was useless. Soon, his enemies would find him and end him but he'd be damned before he allowed himself to die at the hands of such bastard.

A slow cryptic smile twitched on his lips. The blood loss was sure to finish the job at any moment now.

As his vision blurred, his grip on the gun loss ended as well as on his side. Lying down, he relaxed, waiting for the angel of death to approach him. His hearing lost, his mind hazy. He tried to close his eyes and his mind went numb. All of a sudden, a strange feeling crept up his heart. He was actually afraid of death. Although he wanted to give up, but a nagging voice at the back of his head told him to fight it and live.

What for? I've got nothing to live for? What's my life's purpose anyway?

He argued with himself but he didn't want to fight. Fear was slowly creeping in his heart for fear of the unknown realm- Death. But it was inevitable.

Maybe if I had done something good in my life, then I could bargain it for a second chance. But alas, good was always against the very core of my being. I can't even beg YOU to be merciful towards me when I myself have been merciless all my life.

His pacing heart was slowly giving up as the blood continued to flow out of his body. The pain was getting unbearable.

Just take me already. Why do you have to make me suffer? Don't be a sadist! He mentally screamed.

Of course, he knew all too well what it was like to bestow death in sadism. He had done it in times that he could barely even Remember. It was classic poetic justice as they say. Him dying in pain and by the very means in which he prided himself on.

All of a sudden, his body began to feel numb, his hands and feet felt cold. His breathing slowed to an abnormal rate. In one last effort, his body fought and his mouth opened to draw as much air as it could but it was all useless.