Chapter 17

enjoy and vote and comment as much as you can :)

***********

Anissa kept her eyes fixed on her parents when they came to sit with her on the stage. They were so happy that their only child was finally married—little did they know that this would be the last time they would see their precious daughter.

Anissa burned their smiling faces in her memory: never forgetting that her marriage to a supposed 'good man' was the cause of their happiness. And she didn't regret it now. If she could repay her aunt and uncle for all that they did for her till now then she would gladly fall in the pits of hell if that made them happy. Their debt weighed heavily on her and she would be forever grateful to them. Although her parents never made her feel like an outsider, Anissa knew better.

And when she saw Ramsha and Haris, they were looking at her with concern. When Shehryaar left the stage to attend to his Amma, Ramsha approached Anissa and sat beside her. Anissa quickly grabbed her and tried her best not to cry.

"What's the matter?" She asked in a hushed tone. "Was he okay with you? How did he treat you?"

Anissa wanted to tell her troubles to her only friend but she knew that she couldn't risk to involve Ramsha or Haris in her matter anymore. Whatever was between her and Shehryaar, she would face it by herself.

Shaking her head, she pursed her lips tightly to block the sobs from escaping her lips. "Take care of my parents Ramsha. Please don't ever make them feel lonely." She whispered, her voice low and thick with her grief.

Ramsha furrowed her brows in confusion. "You know that I will Ainnie. But you'll visit right? You'll call too right?"

"I don't know." She muttered and quickly composed herself when she saw Shehryaar come up and sit beside her. She lowered her head and kept her gaze down, feeling her husband's intense glare on her face, making her blush. Ramsha nodded, squeezed Anissa's hand in understanding, passed Shehryaar a death glare and left.

"Remember what I said." Shehryaar murmured in her ear, causing dread to pool in her stomach.

"I will." She replied lowly. She felt Shehryaar's grasp her hand and squeeze it. She knew what it meant; his gesture meant for her to behave herself and she was going to do just that.

When the Waleema function came to an end and it was time for Anissa to bid her family good bye forever, she broke down into tears and clung to her parents as if her life depended on them. Her parents consoled her. She kept kissing her mother'a cheeks. When she kissed her father's cheek, she saw his eyes pour out. She was taken aback; she always knew her uncle to be a very hard man but even he had his moments.

"Jeeti raho baiti. Know that you are the best that has ever happened to us. We are so proud of you. Don't ever do anything that would bring shame upon your family. You are the custodian of our family honour. Always keep it intact. I love you so much Anissa." He told her wholeheartedly. "Remember, you not only hold your family's honour and respect in your hands but also your husband's. be a good wife and don't ever do anything that would bring shame upon him as well."

Anissa felt her heart and spirits lift. That was all she needed to muster up her courage and be brave. "I'll be your brave girl Abu. I will never let you down. I swear." She avowed, her hazel eyes determined. Not only did Shehryaar's Amma also make her promise to look after Shehryaar but now she has given her promise to her parents as well. Now she was even more determined to change her husband. She had the hopes and prayers and wishes of her family and Shehryaar's Amma resting on her now.

For you Abu, I'll try my hardest to make this marriage work out. Even though Shehryaar is evil, I will change him. I'll make him change. She promised herself. I don't know why e wants to break me but I'll change him before he even tries to break me. I'll give him so much love and attention that he'll never want do anything bad to anyone ever again.