21. Surprising Things

Twist Of Fate

Chapter 21: Surprising Things

The sound of kids laughing could be heard miles away from the kindergarten. The sounds were so loud, and you reached the place. You parked your car outside the kindergarten and walked out.

The sun was out, and its strong sunlight shone down on you and you covered your eyes with your hand from the strong sunrays.

You were dressed in a thin white t-shirt and simple light blue jeans with a few holes on your thighs and you wore flats.

The weather was just perfect, it wasn't too hot nor too windy. You could hear the kids laughing and figured that they were out in the playground and Ki Joon must be out too. You came to pick him up and it was past three pm.

You had finished your work and Yongguk was still at work, so you sent him a message that you would pick Ki Joon up. The three of you were going to eat out later. So, you had to be home in good time and get dressed.

You opened the small gate and entered the playground. The kids were running around, some driving on the small bicycles, some were on the swings, and some were playing around.

You looked out and saw Ki Joon's teacher Choi Soo Jin, and you smiled and waved to her. She made a hand movement towards the sandbox, at the corner and you nodded.

You walked out to find Ki Joon in the sandbox, and you had a smile on your face and you couldn't wait to surprise him. He always got so happy, when he got picked up.

However, you frowned as soon as you stood in front of the sandbox and your eyes widened. Ki Joon sat on the sand. He was curled together, his face bent down in his knees. You saw all the sand on his hair that went down his back and into his pants.

"Ki Joon-ah!" You shouted.

The little boy looked up, and his eyes were wide and red. He had been crying. You hurried up to him and pulled him up from the sand and in your embrace.

"Baby, what happened to you?" You asked and he was quiet and he instantly hugged you tightly.

"Did someone tease you?" You asked in a soft tone and he shook his head.

You pulled him back and gently ruffled his hair and dust off the sand from him. "Why didn't you tell the teachers?" You asked and he pursed his lips.

Ki Joon tilted his head down and his mouth was pursed. He had sand all over him. You tapped his back gently and he suddenly frowned. You stiffened and looked at him.

"Eo- eom- eom." He began to mumble and you looked into his eyes that were wide of fear.

It sounded like he was about to say 'eomma' and your mouth dropped and you waited for the word 'mom' to come from his mouth.

However, he stopped and your eyes widened even more, when he suddenly buried his face into you and hid himself.

You turned around and looked out, and saw another kid, who was standing in front of you, with a shovel in his hand. The little boy stared on Ki Joon. You hadn't seen this boy at the kindergarten before and figured that he must be new.

You furrowed your brows and noticed that Ki Joon wouldn't look at him. The little boy practically clung onto you. Ki Joon's back faced the other boy, who seemed to be around the same age as Ki Joon, or maybe he was a few months older.

"Did you see what happened to Ki Joon?'" You asked him.

You had a feeling that he knew something, or maybe that he was involved, since Ki Joon hid from him. You hadn't seen your little boy hide in fear from someone else like this before.