33 - Stitches ?!

"Harry, darling, can you sit still while mummy finishes what she's doing?"

"Harry, please slow down. No running in the house."

"For the love of god Harry, stop spinning. You'll get dizzy."

Anne wasn't surprised when she heard the ear-piercing scream come from the living room while she was making dinner, but none the less ran since her baby was crying. "What happened baby?" She knelt down by the sobbing boy who was clutching the back of his head with one hand while making grabbing motions towards Anne with the other.

"F-fell."

"Can I see baby? Do you have a bump?" She sat down with the boy on her lap, gently removing his hand, eyes nearly poking out when she noticed the blood on his hand. It wasn't much, but it was there. "Oh darling, what happened?"

"Fell o-on the table mummy, there!" He pointed at the corner of the coffee table before letting out a loud sob. "Hurts mumma! Kiss it better." Anne cuddled the boy close before standing up and carrying him into the kitchen to turn off the stove.

"I'm afraid mummy can't kiss that one better bubba, let me see." She placed the boy on the kitchen counter, taking a closer look at the back of his head. The blood was increasing, which worried the woman as it was definitely too much blood to simply but a plaster on it.

"Owie, mumma!" The boy tried crawling onto the woman but Anne told him to sit still while she got an ice-pack from the freezer. "Here darling, can you be a big boy and hold it still? We have to let the doctor check on it."

"Nooo. Jus' kiss it!"

"Mummy can't fix this baby. Come on, let's get your shoes and Mr Snuggles." She kissed the boy's rosy cheek before picking him back up again."

"Don't wanna go to the doctor mummy."

"It will be okay, he's going to fix it." She helped the boy put his shoes on, gather his beloved stuffed bear and one book in case he felt up for it whilst they were waiting. "Let's head out darling."

Much to Anne's relief the A&E wasn't far from their house, so she could soon pick Harry from his car seat again, who was still a sobbing mess and by the looks of it, he wouldn't be stopping anytime soon.

"Evening. My son had a pretty nasty fall onto the coffee table and has a little tear on the back of his head. He says it hurts a lot and I think it might need stitching." She whispered the last part and luckily the receptionist heard her over the wailing.

"Alright, could you please fill this out for me then you can have a seat and we'll call him shortly." She handed her a clipboard which she filled out quickly so she could tend to the crying boy.

"Wanna go home, mumma." The boy whined, trying to bury his head into his mother's neck, one of his hands still holding an icepack on the back of his head.

"Can mummy see it again, baby?"

"Nooo, hurts." Harry whined, snuggling further into Anne's embrace. "Wanna cuddle."

"How about we read the book? Would you like to read with mummy?" The woman handed the boy his Mr. Snuggles and waved a small book in front of the boy, making his eyes light up.

"It's Maisy, mummy!" The boy excitedly points to the mouse on the cover, finally down to a few sniffles as his favourite book distracts him from the crying.

"It is, baby. Should we read it together?" She opens the book, pointing to the first word, hoping Harry would be up to reading a little bit as he's been learning and it was his new favourite thing.