46 - Not so Great Birthday

Heya, I'm back  xx 

- - - 

"Wake up, pretty princess." Anne spoke gently, pushing the boy's hair away from his eyes as they fluttered open. "That's it. It's a special day and I don't think you want to sleep it off." She smiled, placing a kiss on his forehead before getting up to find clothes for him. 

"S'ma birthday!" Harry suddenly shot up in bed, wide awake. "My birthday, Mummy! M'eight!" The boy held up eight fingers, his smile so wide it nearly covered his face. 

"It certainly is! What would you want to wear on this special day, hm? Trousers or skirt?" She held up both items of the school uniform watching as the boy pondered for a moment as he absolutely loved wearing a skirt, but each time he went to school wearing it, the kids could get a little mean. But it was his birthday, and he wanted to feel pretty on his birthday. 

"The skirt please, Mummy." The boy grinned, "An' I want to put a braid in my hair, please." He walked up to the woman to give her a long, tight hug, something he did every morning. 

"We should be able to do that. Now run along to the kitchen as Daddy as cooked a special breakfast and I'd like you to put your clothes on after you eat, please, we want to avoid the mess." She chuckled, watching the boy run out of the room as she grabbed the rest of the boy's outfit for the day. 

It was a good call not getting the boy dressed before breakfast, as Robin had made chocolate chip pancakes, and Harry ended up being covered in chocolate and prone to wipe his mouth with his hands and then wiping his hands on his shirt. It was all just a big mess. 

"Does this look okay, darling?" 

"Looks perfect, Mummy, thank you." Harry beamed, examining the two French braids his mother had put in his hair, "Love them so much!" 

"I'm glad you do baby. Now get your shoes on, Louis will be leaving soon." It just so happened that Anne's brother, Louis, lived just next door to them, and it just so happened that he was a teacher at the same school Harry went to so it all worked out great. Though Louis didn't have kids Harry's age, he just had a son who was four, almost five, but he and Harry got along great. "You'll catch a ride home with Louis as well today, as Mummy will be quite busy setting up your party." 

"But don't fill the party bags! I want to do it Mummy." 

"I know, I won't. Now hurry up babe, I love you very much." With a quick kiss and a hug, the boy was out the door just as Louis was walking out of his house. 

"Hi babe! Happy birthday!" Louis gave the boy a hug before helping get up into the large car. He didn't really know why they had bought such a large jeep, as Louis himself even had trouble getting into it. "My, you look dashing today, Harry." The man complimented, kissing the boy's forehead before shutting his door and getting into the car himself. 

"Thank you uncle Loulou. Mummy did the braids." Harry raved, proudly turning his head from side to side so Louis could see in his mirror. "Love them a lot." 

"Well they're beautiful." Louis smiled, putting the car in reverse to get out of the driveway.
Harry should've known his day would go downhill once he entered the classroom that morning and was met with snickers from his classmates. He was in a too good of a mood to care, but when it happens all day long, it does break your spirits. 

It was at recess when the boy found himself sat in a muddy puddle, having just been pushed over by two boys in his class, and a fair few of other kids standing around, laughing along. "That's what you get." The boy spat, "That's what you get for being a weirdo." A weirdo? Harry thought. All this trouble because he was a weirdo? As the boy yelled at him, another one snuck behind him, yanking out his hair ties and messing his hair up until there was no sign of the braids apart from little waves.