35 - Sleepovers

Why Louis and Zayn decided it would be a good idea to invite all the boy's in Niall's class over for a sleepover was beyond them. Niall had requested to invite five of his 'best' mates in class for a sleepover instead of having a birthday party. Of course the fathers accepted, but found it odd to leave the last three boys in his class out, hence ending up inviting all nine of the eight and nine year-olds to their house. That's how Harry ended up getting invited.

Now, Harry wasn't the most popular in class, and he wasn't disliked, he just kept quiet and barely anyone noticed him there. He was a shy kid and it wasn't exactly his forte to make friends. At first he wasn't going, he told his mum that he didn't know anyone in class so she ended up ringing the fathers to let them know Harry wouldn't be coming.

But when Anne had to suddenly leave for an overnight trip and the babysitter couldn't make it with such short notice, she rung them up again to ask if it was too late to accept their offer, telling them about the dilemma she was in. It was no problem at all.

"It's going to be absolutely fine, baby. It will be the perfect opportunity for you to get to know the boys in your class. Perhaps make a few friends so maybe you can invite them to your birthday next year." She looked at the sniffling boy through the rear-view mirror, almost turning the car around to call her boss and say she can't make it but obviously work was important.

She gathered the boy's Paw Patrol bag and his little Paw Patrol duvet, the boy was going through a little phase, before grabbing his small hand to help him out of his car seat. "Can I go with you, mumma?" He felt way too nervous, having never actually spent a night away from his mother unless she went on little business trips, that never lasted more than one night really.

"I wish baby." She crooned, hugging the boy close to her side. "But I'll be back before dinner tomorrow. I'll pick you up and we'll do something special together." She sent the boy a smile as they waited for someone to answer the door.

"What if they see my pull-up mumma?" Harry whined, close to letting the tears fall. Before his mother could answer, the door swung open revealing two men, one of them rather short.

"Hello." Anne smiled. "I'm Anne, I spoke to you on the phone earlier and this here is Harry." She gestured to the boy who was snuggling into her side, not in the mood to look at the two men.

"Of course. I'm Louis and this is my husband Zayn." They greeted the woman. "Hello Harry. You are welcome to go inside to find the boys, they are just right there in the living room waiting for the rest to show up." Louis pointed inside the house, probably in the direction of the living room but Harry was too busy hiding the fact that he was on the verge of crying.

"Harry, baby. Go inside to find the boys whilst I have a little talk with the grown-ups, okay? I'll say bye in a minute darling." Harry finally turned towards the men, but kept his gaze on the ground and Zayn showed him the way inside before going back to the doorstep.

"So um, he's pretty shy if you can't already tell." Anne chuckled, but one look in her eyes and you could tell she was nervous as hell.

"He'll have so much fun here, don't worry." Louis assured.

"I don't exactly know how he'll react, he's never spent a night away from home and it kills me that I can't even come pick him up if he needs me to." She let out a shaky breath. "But there's one thing that he's really nervous about. There's a pull-up in his bag, he sometimes has accidents so they're just a precaution but he's prone to skipping them if he's feeling embarrassed."

"Don't worry about it. We'll make sure he's comfortable and has everything he needs."

"Thank you so much. Here's his bag and duvet. I'll pick him up some time in the afternoon, yeah?"