Awaken

Spencer sits there in shock for what seems like an eternity. 'Did I hear that or am I just imagining things now?'

Spencer slowly looks down at Ashley, almost afraid to see if it was really her that spoke or just her mind playing games with her. Her eyes make contact with tired, chocolate brown eyes smiling back at her. Happy tears spring to her eyes as she realizes it really was Ashley's voice she just heard.

"A... Ashley?" Spencer says quietly, tears spilling over. Ashley smiles weakly at Spencer, slowly holding out her hand for Spencer to take.

"Is... Is this real? I'm not... not dreaming, am I?" Spencer asks, her voice cracking. Ashley squeezes her hand gently, gathering the strength to speak again.

"You're not... dreaming Spence." Ashley says, her voice no louder than a whisper, doing her best to talk around the breathing tube. All Spencer can do is nod her head, tears streaming down her face. Spencer tries to get the tears under control as she moves closer to her.

"Oh My God. I was really starting to think you wouldn't wake up." Spencer says.

"Of... of course.. I would.. wake up. Re... remember, I... I promised a special som... someone a date." Ashley gets out slowly. Spencer lets out a teary laugh.

"I'm gonna go get the doctor, okay? I promise not to be long." Ashley nods her head and Spencer quickly squeezes her hand before dashing out the door to find the doctor.

After finding the doctor, Spencer whips out her cell phone and dials the first number that comes to mind.

"Hello?"

"KYLA! You gotta come to the hospital. It's about Ashley. She..." Before Spencer can finish, Kyla cuts her off.

"Oh My God! What happened? Is Ashley okay? Is she..."

"Kyla! Chill. She's awake." Spencer hears silence on the other end.

"Kyla? Are you there?" Spencer asks cautiously.

"Ye... Yeah. She's really awake? Oh my... okay... um... I'll call Jacy and we'll all be there soon okay?" Kyla says, getting over the shock upon hearing the news.

"Yeah. What about Aiden and Jazz?" Spencer asks.

"Aiden is with me and I think that Jazz is supposed to be hanging out with Jacy today. We'll be there soon. See you soon, Spence."

"Okay. Bye Kyla."

Spencer walks back to Ashley's room just as the doctor and two nurses come walking out. Worried, Spencer walks up to the doctor.

"Is everything alright?" Spencer asks, eyeing the two nurses that had just walked out of the room.

"Everything is fine Spencer. She seems to be doing really well. We just took the breathing tube out. Her throat may be sore for a couple days, but if everything keeps on the positive, she should be able to go home by the end of the week."

"Really?" Spencer's eyes light up at the great news. The doctor chuckles.

"Yes, really. Now, I think a certain someone is missing you by now." The doctor laughs out loud at the dark blush that covers Spencer's face.

"Thanks" Spencer makes a quick escape inside Ashley's room. Ashley turns her head at the sound of the door opening just in time to see Spencer fly through the door with a huge blush covering her face.

"What happened?" Ashley asks, voice even more deep, and raspy than normal. Spencer mentally fans herself. 'Woah! Is the heat on in here?' Spencer shakes her head, clearing her throat to answer Ashley's question.

"Nothing! Just ran into Dr. Johnson. Oh, And I called Kyla. Her and the others should be here soon." Ashley gives Spencer a heart melting smile, "Okay."

Spencer shivers involuntarily 'Definitely not the heat.'