Devastation and Miracles

The sound of sirens could barely be heard over the chaos going down at King High School. The flashing red and blue lights barely visible as first responders do their best to get on scene.

Spencer blinks as she slowly opens her eyes. Her vision fuzzy and mind confused as she tries to remember where she is. She's vaguely aware of a foreign pain in her left arm. As the sirens get closer, her mind begins to clear and overwhelming panic quickly replaces her confusion as she registers a weight on top of her.

Ashley!

Spencer tries shifting her weight while calling out Ashley's name, feeling a strong sense of déjà vu when she gets no response. She tries once more, getting a small, weak grunt as Spencer scrambles out from underneath Ashley's body.

"Ashley?! Baby?! Come on! I need you to open your eyes!" Spencer yells, the panic and terror coming out loud and clear. Ignoring everything going on around her, Spencer feels tears well up in her eyes as she quickly takes survey over Ashley's body. Struggling, adrenaline coursing through her, she manages to rip part of her dress. She bundles it up and presses down hard on the gaping wound in Ashley's chest, the other hand pressing down on Ashley's right side, trying her best to stop the bleeding. Ashley groans and flinches at the pain, coming to.

"Spencer?" she says, voice barely audible.

"Shh. Don't talk baby. Everything is going to be okay. You're going to be okay. Help will be here soon." Spencer says trying to hold back her tears. The sound of sirens gets even closer. 'It shouldn't be too much longer'

Ashely looks up at Spencer, eyes heavy. A frown comes to her face as she tries and fails to lift her arm up, the movement causing her to cry out in pain.

"Shh shh. Don't move. I just need you to keep your eyes open for me baby. Please.." Spencer pleads desperately. "I can't lose you."

Ashley feels her eyes get heavier, struggling to keep her eyes open. "I'm just.. so tired."

The tears finally start to fall down Spencer's face as she does her best to keep pressure on Ashley's chest and side. "I know you are Ash. I know but you can't sleep. Not yet."

"Spence.. Spencer.." Ashley coughs, groaning at the pain it causes. Spencer shakes her head.

"Shh. Save your strength. Please Ash, you can't leave me. I won't let you. I just got you back." Spencer says shakily through her tears.

"I love you Spencer." Ashley whispers. Spencer's tears come harder .The sound of her name can be heard from somewhere behind her drowned out by the sound of sirens, the vehicles coming to a screeching halt. Help is here.

"I love you too Ashley. I lo.." Spencer freezes mid-sentence as Ashley loses the fight and her eyes close, the movement of her chest coming to a stop.

Spencer frantically checks for a pulse. There is none.

"NO! DON'T YOU DARE CLOSE YOUR EYES! STAY WITH ME ASHLEY! STAY WITH ME! ASHLEY!" Spencer screams at the top of her lungs, tears running down her face as her friends and the paramedics finally make it to them.

"Spencer!" Spencer isn't sure who gets to her first but she feels strong, gentle hands pulling her away from Ashley as the paramedics swarm Ashley's body.

"Come on Spencer. The paramedics got her. You need to get your arm checked out." Aiden says as calmly as he can, failing as his voice cracks. Spencer shakes her head vehemently.

"No! I'm fine! I need to stay with her! She can't.. she.. can't..." Spencer doesn't finish her sentence as heart wrenching sobs makes its way out. The girls huddle around the two, tearing cascading down everyone's face as they try and take in all that's happened. They don't stay huddled long as they all turn their attention to the blur of activity going on around their friend. They watch as one person cuts away Ashley's top, pulling it open as he tries to stop the bleeding, while another starts an IV and secures her airway and the third slaps pads onto the still body.