Eleventh

Jho

"Madeleine Alexandra Madayag."
She nodded when I read Alex's full name. "To be a doctor." Bigla namang lumungkot si Bea. She started telling me more about Alex and handed me their college yearbook.

"I used to call her Mads. Actually I'm the only one na tumatawag sa kanyang Mads. Napikon pa sya sakin nun kasi sanay nga syang Alex ang tawag sa kanya."

"All this time, I thought guy si Alex."

Beatriz chuckled, "I know."

"What!?"

"Remember the first time I mentioned Alex? Natigilan ako nang sinabi mong he'll regret leaving me."

Napaawang ang bibig ko at hinampas sya sa braso. "So alam mo from the very start then you didn't even tell me!"

"Ouch! Jho, we were starting to get to know each other that time. I imagined you'd freak out."

"Ang judgy mo."

I pouted my lips and was shocked when she gave me a smack on my lips.

"What was that for!?"

"You're cute." Then she used that smile again. My gosh, Beatriz when will you even play fair?

I leaned closer to her and rest my head between her shoulder & neck.

"Bea, tell me. When did you figure out you love her?"

I have noticed her held her breathing.

"When we were 14?"

"That young, huh?"

"Maharot na katorse ako noon e."

I tried to let out a fake chuckle. Then she continues,

"Of course, pinagalitan nya ko when she found out. Mads has always been my big sister. Same age lang kami but nung kinupkop nila ko when I was 10 she felt like she had this responsibility of taking care of me. She knew I was so vulnerable that time."

Napaangat ako ng tingin kay Bea.

"Yiipp, she was so matured even that age."

I nodded and signaled her to continue.

"Then when we were college, dun nya lang narealize na--, mahal nya na rin ako." she whispered the last part. She felt awkward, I should know.

"She started being jealous seeing me with somebody. Lalo na yung mga umaaligid na gustong manligaw. At first, she thought she's just being protective kasi nga guys. But when another girl confessed her feelings for me and ako naman since I wanted to move on, I gave it a shot."

"Was it Jana?"

"Oh, no!! Jana is my best friend. As in, BEST. FRIEND. Never kaming nagkamalisya sa isa't isa."

"So what happened?"

"With the girl in college? It never worked out. Lahat ng dates namin nakasunod si Mads. Hanggang sa napikon na yung babae then I confronted Mads. I was so mad. I told her kung ayaw nya ba kong maging masaya. I told her that she knew my feelings for her then she wanted me to stop & yet would always ruin my relationship with others. And that was the time she confessed."

Bigla syang natahimik na parang may iniisip.

"What are you thinking, Bea?"

"We hid our relationship only until we graduated kasi of course, eventually Tita Donna found out. That was the time she started hating me."

"Tita Donna, sya yung babae kanina right?"

Tumango si Bea, "For so many years, mas kinilala ko pa syang ina kaysa sa totoo kong nanay. So I'm really not sure what's more heartbreaking, yung iniwan ako ni mommy sa kanya or yung kinamuhian ako ng taong nagpalaki sakin."