Seventeenth

Bea

I checked my phone again when I entered the building. I texted Jho earlier to let her know that I was on my way home but I never received a response. Maybe she already fell asleep. I tried to convince myself just to wash off the thought of something is not right. 

I reached the floor of my unit and tried dialing her phone. I started walking while waiting for her to pick up then I turned left. 

I stopped when I saw her sitting in front of my door. What is she doing here? I asked myself as if I could get an answer. She's hugging both of her knees and she looked at me when she heard my footsteps. 

"Mads?" 

She just smiled at me and stood up. "Tagal mo ah." 

"Sorry but what are you doing here? Did you forget something when you were here the first time?" 

She shook her head, "I just need someone to talk to."

"Therese?"

Mahina itong tumawa, "Ouch, I feel like you're pushing me away."

"It's not like that. I was just surprised na ako yung maiisip mong puntahan."

"Nakakagulat ba? Why, are you one of them who don't believe that ex-lovers can be friends again?"

Now, I really am surprised. 

"I know, Bea. That's why I'm here. I wanna hear our stories from you." 

How did she?

"I don't think that's a good idea, Mads." 

"I promise, I won't get mad." she reached for my hand and her eyes are begging. 

"Please Bea?" 

Maybe this is not a bad idea at all. I just need this conversation to turn into our closure. 

I nodded and her smile widened; the next thing I knew, I'm around her arms. 

"I'll just check on Jho." I told her and slowly, she broke the hug and gave me her weak smile. Tumango lang ito and watched me while I walked towards Jho's door. 

I used her spare key to get inside as she was not answering my calls. I checked every corner of her unit but to no avail. I went outside again when I remembered Maddie. 

"Mads, I'm so sorry but Jho is not here. I need to find her." 

"Why? Hindi pa ba sya umuuwi?" 

"No, I just talked to her over the phone and now she's not answering my calls." 

"Baka naman may dinaanan lang or hang out with friends?" 

"No, magsasabi yun kung ganun." I keep dialing Jho's phone number.

"Bea, malaki na si Jhoana. Kung nakausap mo siya kanina wala pa namang ilang oras na di siya nagpaparamdam diba? We can just wait for her." 

"She told me earlier na nandito na siya sa building, Mads." from then I realized. "Wait, since what time are you here?" 

"Two hours ago?" 

"You waited for me for two hours!?" She just nodded. 

There is a possibility that Jhoana saw Maddie when she arrived and decided not to go home. I know her stand when it comes to Mads. She still believes that she's not good enough every time Maddie is around. 

"I think she saw you here." 

"So?" natatawang tanong nito sa akin. 

"Mads, she knows you're my ex."