Twenty-second

Beatriz

"Bei, can you chill? Nahihilo na ko sa'yo!"

Bea stopped and heaved a sigh.

"You're not helping, Mads. Kinakabahan na nga ko. Ganyan ka pa. Tomorrow is my flight and I'm nervous!"

"As if naman na magpapakita ka sa kanya." I just stared at her. "Wait, don't tell me you're planning to talk to her? Nagbago na isip mo?"

I sat on my bed. "What are you talking about? I'm nervous because of that freakin' quiz bee!!"

She raised an eyebrow on me. "We both know why you joined to that quiz bee, Beatriz. Pwede ba, wag ako. Halos magsunog ka na ng kilay just to make sure na ikaw ang mapadala sa Melbourne. And we know why."

I didn't answer her back. It was nonsense. Mads could read me and knew me too well.

Julia cleared her throat when she noticed me spacing out. "So what's your plan?"

I just shrugged. "I don't have one." Ano nga bang plano ko? If there is one person who can help me, that would be me Mads but thinking of her condition, I don't think talking to her would be a good idea. Baka ending ako pa ang mag-explain ng past namin. If only Mads could remember everything. I was so hopeless. 

"If you can't tell her alone, I can help." I glanced at her again. 

"Julia, I'm not sure if I'm ready." 

"Pero Isabel--" 

"Let me think about it first. I'll tell her. We will. I promise." 

Tinitigan nya muna ko ng matagal bago tumango.

"Bilisan mo lang kasi I don't want the idea of me keeping secrets from my sister." She stood up and grabbed the cup of tea I gave her, "Are you gonna stay here? Aalis kasi ako." 

"Where are you going? I promised Jho to take you for lunch." 

She smiled at me, "I'm okay Isabel. May imimeet rin akong friend. I'll tell Jho na lang that I'll be back tonight."

I just nodded at her and stood up. 

I was just lying on Jho's bed and staring at the ceiling since Julia left. 

Sobrang liit nga talaga ng mundo at si tadhana sobrang gago. I chose to let go of my Mom. The last time I saw her she was so happy with her new family- with Julia's family. When I was in Melbourne for 2 weeks halos araw-araw akong nakikipagkita kay Julia just to get some updates. Everyday akong umaasa na marinig ko kay Julia na bigla akong nakwento ni Mommy sa kanila but that never happened. I knew I wanted to talk to her. My last day stalking her was the most heartbreaking. I was outside the coffee shop across the restaurant Julia told me. Few minutes later, they arrived - complete happy family. Julia was the first one who went inside and the one who chose their table. I couldn't help but smile as I watched her pointing to my Mom the seat just beside the window. Of course, she wanted me to have a clear view. My mom pulled the other girl to sit beside her. She must be the one Julia was talking about. I tried to adjust my vision so I could see the girl's face. Is she prettier than me? Is she more lovable than me? Is she taller? I wanted to see the reason why Mom left me. 

I sipped my coffee for the last time and breathe deeply. This is it. I stood up and was about to cross the road when I saw her cupped the girl's face and kissed her on her forehead. My feet didn't move. My mom pulled her closer and gave her a hug. The girl's face was blurry. No, everything was blurry. I closed my eyes and was trying very hard to breathe. I couldn't breathe. I wiped my tears and ran away.