Eighteenth

Alex

"Where's Bea?"

Therese was looking at me, surprised. It took her few seconds to realize I was already awake.

"Oh gosh, Alex!! You're awake!!" she hugged me, "Wait, tatawagin ko si Doc!" She was about to run when I held her wrist.

"Therese, please calm down and just answer my question. Where is Bea?"

"Alex--"

"What happened to Bea? Tell me she's okay."

"She's okay, Alex. I mean, physically yes. She's fine. But--"

"But what?"

"But Tita Donna is not allowing her to visit you here."

I remained silent. Of course, Mom will do everything paghiwalayin lang kami.

Therese reached for her phone nang magring ito.

"Si Tita Donna. Should I tell her na gising ka na?"

I just nodded.

Therese told me everything, from the day of the accident hanggang sa mga araw na pinagtatabuyan ni Mommy si Beatriz.

Mom arrived with Oliver, my cousin who we just met few months ago.

"Salamat at gising ka na anak!"

Niyakap ko rin ito.

"How are you iha?"

Before I could speak, Therese already answered for me. "She was looking for Bea." All of us stared at her. "Si Bea unang hinanap nya the moment she opened her eyes, Tita. Tawagan ba natin si Bea?"

I know that Therese was just trying to help but I know my mom better.

"No."

They were shocked when they looked at me.

"She was the reason why I'm here. Hayaan nyo lang na alam nyang hindi pa ko nagigising."

"But Alex, are you sure?"

I noticed Mom smiling. This was what she wanted to happen. Ang magalit ako kay Bea.

"I'm sure. When the right time comes or if the Doctor will allow me na lumabas na dito, tell Bea that I cannot remember her anymore, like amnesia or what so ever."

Beatriz was visiting me once in a while. I could hear all the things she was telling me. It was so difficult to fight the urge of opening my eyes and hug her. I badly missed her touch.

Until she stopped and I was pretty sure who was the reason why she went to missing in action.

"I really don't know why are we doing this, Alex?" Therese asked when we were at our house with Oliver.

"Me too. Until now, I don't get the point. I've been seeing Bea for quite a while now but why are we doing this again?"

"I just want you to watch over her, Oli. That simple."

He walked towards me and looked me in the eye. "There's something else. Isn't it easier if you'll just tell her that you are already awake?"

"Exactly!" Therese agreed. "Why do you need Tita Donna to go to her and tell Bea the bad news? And, Alex, amnesia!? Are you for real??"

"I know Mom so well. She'll do everything to win."

"Please explain further." Therese crossed her arms.