Fourteenth

Bea

"I can't believe you did that, Bea."

I rolled my eyes when I saw her smirk.

"Dukutin ko yang mata mo! Go on, continue na. What happened pagbalik mo ng condo mo? What did Alex tell you?"

I hope it was Alex I talked to. I wanted to tell her then I decided to just continue the story:

"Mads? I'm already here."

Nagtaka ko dahil hindi ko siya nakita pagpasok ko ng unit, I tried to check the kitchen but she wasn't there.

I grabbed my phone and was about to dial her phone number when a thought came in. I called Therese, instead.

Three rings then she picked up.

"Therese--"

"What the hell were you thinking!?"

"What!?"

"Wag mo ko mawhat what, Bea!"

"Okay, I get it, you're mad. But what did I do, Therese?"

"Are you serious?? Bea, you left her! Alone! Mag-isa lang si Alex sa unit mo kanina, how sure are you na safe sya nung iniwan mo sya?"

"Look, I'm sorry but-"

"But what? But mas importante yung Jhoana na yan?"

"Wait! How did you know?"

"I'm not stupid, Beatriz. I have to go."

Then she just hung up on me.

"Things you do for family. Imagine, Therese? The very calm Therese? Shouting at you over the phone and binagsakan ka pa." Naiiling na sabi nito and took a sip of her frappe.

"I know."

"So you chose Jho that time but Bea, is it always gonna be Jho?"

I was staring blankly at her face while asking myself: Is it always gonna be you, Jhoana?

"That Jhoana girl really got into you huh."

She wast just smiling and I know exactly what she meant.

"Maybe." I grabbed my own drink and checked my watch. It was 10 minutes before Jho's end of work hours. I should go.

"I'm sure and I know, you are. Don't deny it. You never chose me over Alex, Bea. Jho is the first girl who made you set aside Alex."

"You're right. She's different."

"Ouch."

I smiled as she acted like she was really hurt.

"Stop it, Isa. Nakamove-on ka na sakin diba?" I looked at my watch again. I reached for my drink to take another sip: I should really go.

"I never stop loving you."

My hand stopped mid-air.

"That's why I'm here, Bei. Isa Molde at your service. You're important to me at hindi na magbabago yun. Maybe, the right thing to say is, I already stopped being in love with you."

In that moment I got nothing to say. It's true that she's always there for me. Even those times that I was always choosing Mads.

"You can go, Bea."

"Huh?"

"Kanina ka pa tumitingin sa orasan mo. She's waiting for you noh?"

"What about you?"