Nineteenth

Jho

"Is it all true?" I asked him right after we settled ourselves in the corner of the coffee shop near our condo. 

He nodded. I was waiting for him to speak up but it seemed he wanted me to ask first. 

"So, are you really gonna tell me everything?"

"Oo. But I don't know how to start." he was just staring at his cup of coffee. 

"Simulan mo sa umpisa?" I raised my eyebrow at him. 

He heaved a sigh and shifted his stare towards my direction. "We are cousins. Alex and I. Bea doesn't know it kasi few months ago lang rin kami nagkakilala ni Alex. I was from States then we got back here, then we met nung nagkaron kami ng family reunion." 

I leaned on my seat and listened as he continued. 

"I learned about her relationship with Bea when she called me one night. Umiiyak sya nun. Pinagalitan na naman kasi siya ni Tita Donna. Then she told me everything, wala na rin siguro siyang masabihan because Therese was on vacation and not picking up her phone." 

He stared at me for a moment and returned his attention to his coffee.

"Did Bea tell you about the accident?"

I nodded.

"After few weeks, nagising na sya but she needed to stay in the hospital to monitor her condition. That was when she told us her plan."

"She remembers." That was not a question.

He nodded and took a sip.

"Alex found out na natanggap ako sa company where Bea also works. She asked me this favor. To look after her. She asked me to do everything for Bea to be interested with me. In that way, I'd know everything about her without being like a stalker. Mukhang nagwork naman ata yung charm ko?" he smiled but it didn't reach his eyes.

"She had a huge crush on you."

He just shook his head.

"I'm serious Oli. Kung alam mo lang!"

"I know." This time, he looked at me.

"She told me Jho. She confessed."

"Then?"

"She told me everything when she finally realized that she's in love with you."

I was surprised. I didn't know when this happened.

"Funny noh? Akala ko yun na eh. Before that, I know that there is something. I know na in denial lang sya or she was just trying to remain faithful kay Alex kaya hindi niya ma-admit yung nararamdaman nya towards you. Honestly, that night, I was hoping na ang sasabihin niya saking she'll give it a try kasi nga she started with telling me how interested she was with me when we were not friends yet. Then ending, ikaw pala gusto niya. She was so drunk that night."

"She never mentioned this to me. Kelan to?"

"The first time you kissed her."

I tried to recall that night. That was the bravest thing I have done. That was the night I took the risk.

"She was so mad at you for making things harder for her. I was her distraction Jho. She was going out with me to avoid you. She said na hindi tama because ayaw ka niyang masaktan. She even laughed at herself for thinking that you'd never feel the same way so mas madali na layuan ka but then you kissed her."

So when did Bea start falling in love with me?

"The poems?" I asked Oli.

"Those were from Alex. She asked me to give them to Bea, secretly."

"Then why they ended up on my doorsteps?"

"It was just me being selfish."

"I don't get it."

He rested his chin on his hand.
"I'm in love with Bea, Jho. I want to make her happy and I know Alex is not the one who can make her happy anymore. So I did it even alam kong magagalit sakin ang pinsan ko. I did it for Bea."

I looked at him with confusion all over my face.

"She's in love with you. I didn't even know what I was doing when I started sending you those poems. I didn't know what was my intention but I was thinking that it would get your hopes up. Until I realized, I don't want you to give up on her. I was doing it kasi gusto ko lumaban ka. 'Cos I know na dun sya sasaya."

I was speechless. I was not aware that anyone could be this selfless.

"J.M? So it wasn't my initials?"

He shook his head. "It's yours and Alex's. Jhoana. Maddie. That time she knew about you and she was threatened."

"I still don't get Oli. Bakit siya nagpapadala ng ganun if her plan was to pretend she can't remember anything?"

"Those are her keys. She knows after all of this, pwedeng magalit si Bea. Madalas silang mag-away ni Bea noon, and her poems were making the girl calm down. Her words were Bea's kryptonite."

So that explained the sudden change of mood of Beatriz when she saw one of the poems. That tone when she told me that she remembered Maddie.

Hindi ko alam kung anong mararamdaman ko. Should I be glad that Maddie's card in getting Bea back is in my possession?
Bea deserves to know, I thought. Should I tell her?

"Bakit nagpanggap pa sya na may amnesia? Kung bumalik kagad sya kay Bea baka hindi pa kami nun."
Out of curiosity I asked him. I was very thankful that she didn't go back to Bea right after she woke up.

"Tita Donna."

I connected the dots. Of course, it would be because of her mom who couldn't accept their relationship before.

Oli cleared his throat, "Are you gonna tell her everything Jhoana?"

I was just staring at him for few seconds. This would be the consequence of knowing something you shouldn't.

"Why did you tell me everything, Oli?"

"Why me? Why not tell these things directly to Beatriz?" I followed up when he didn't answer.

"Kasi ikaw ang nakarinig samin kanina? You were there Jho. You've heard a lot."

I just looked at him as if telling him that I wasn't totally convinced.

He stood up after finishing his coffee.

"It's up to you if you're gonna tell her or not. Seems like you're gonna risk your relationship either way, so I'd suggest you do whatever you think the right thing to do."

He was about to leave when he stopped in front of me.

"By the way, Alex wants you to keep this as a secret."

I looked up to him, trying to understand every word he just said. Alex knew? Is this part of the plan?

"You're a smart woman, Jhoana. Whatever happens, fight for her. Promise me."

"I-I can't." all of a sudden those were the words came out. What was I thinking?

"Look Jho. Bea is a strong woman and a smart one. But when it comes to what she feels, it'll take a while before she can figure out everything because she always chooses saving everyone, even if it will break her. Kapag nalilito sya, just be with her. Just stay."

Bago pa man ako makasagot, Oliver already walked away.

---

I'm so sorry, this is a short one! Better than nothing, I guess?

'Til next! :)