Sixteenth

Jho

To: Beatriz De Leon
I'm home.

As soon as I sent the text, her name pops up on my screen. I answered her call right away. 

"Ang bilis ah!" She is laughing on the other line. 

"Of course, nanginginig pa po." I chuckled. "Kakapasok ko lang ng building. I'll go upstairs na, Bei. Walang signal sa elevator." 

"Are you pushing me away?" She's being cute again. Hay, my Beatriz. 

"Don't use that line to me, Bea." 

"Okay, hindi na! I know kung ano na next nyan." 

I smiled. It's a good thing that sometimes nagagawa na naming biro ang sitwasyon naming dalawa. 

"Let me know kung pauwi ka na ha? I'll wait for you." 

I heard her chuckled, "I know what you're doing." 

"Tell me what am I doing?" I bite my lips to stop myself from smiling. 

"You want me to go home early. Don't worry, uuwi ako ng maaga, Madame."

"Siguraduhin mo lang. Osiya, bye na." 

I am waiting for her good bye. "I love you." I stopped. Hindi agad ako nakasagot sa kanya. This is the first time that she told me those words over the phone. 

"Huy, are you still there? I said, I love you." 

"Yes, yes, dito pa. Gulat lang ako." Pati sarili ko pinagtawanan ko rin.  When will I get used to this?

"I love you too. Come home na." She giggled before she ended the call.

Pumasok na ko sa elevator and I can't wipe away my smile while still thinking of her. Bea has been more honest these past few days. Naninibago pa rin ako sa ngayon, palagi na syang nagkkwento about her past; her childhood; sometimes about Maddie & Isa. I am not complaining tho. Mas gusto ko na open sya sakin sa nararamdaman nya. Especially if it is about us. I even told her to tell me right away, kung may iba na. Kung hindi na ko sapat. She just rolled her eyes on me. It was an awkward silence until she spoke but started with a bitter laugh. 

"You still don't trust me, don't you?" 

I looked at her. "I trust you, Bei. I am just open with any possibilities." 

"Possibilities, like I will leave you? Or choose her over you?" 

Hindi ako nakasagot agad sa kanya because it is all true. 

"I get it. You trust me but you do not trust us." 

"I hope you understand where are all of these coming from."

Tumango-tango lang ito. "Of course I do." 

She was just staring at me and slowly held my hand, "It just pains me that I can do nothing to slip away that idea from you. I know I hurt you a lot so if there is anything I can do or to make it easy for you, please Jho, just let me know okay?" 

I nodded. "Just stay."

I stepped out the elevator and was about to type a message for her when I heard a familiar voice. Few steps away before I turn left when I heard my name which made me stop. 

"You were sending my letters to Jhoana!? All this time, Oli!?

"I know that she loves Bea. And nararamdaman ko rin na mahal siya na Bea. So please, tigilan mo na 'tong kalokohan mo. Just let them be happy."

"Oliver, of all people, you should know all the things I've been through. I've reached this far, for what? Para magparaya? I can't believe you!" 

I listened to her words. We have the same feels. I'd risk everything for Beatriz. 

"Alex, I agreed doing this for you before because I know that you guys love each other. Now is different. Now--" 

"She has her." She finished his sentence. "Oli, you only have one job. To be honest, the first time I learned about Jhoana, I wanted to blame you! I was so mad at you because you let her fall in love with another girl. You let her na kalimutan ako. But I had to focus on my plan kasi I'm still holding on to her promise, especially when she visited me the next day." 

"I'm so sorry Alex. But hindi na ito tama. Niloloko mo sya." 

"You know why I am doing this." 

"Whatever reason na sabihin mo sa kanya, niloko mo pa rin sya." 

"This is for the both of us!" Tumaas na ang boses ni Alex kay Oliver, while me, my feet are glued to the ground. 

"This is for yourself. Not for her." 

For few seconds, it's a total silence. Paalis na sana ko para bumaba ulit before they can see me when Oli spoke again,

"Let's go. Please think about this first." 

"No, I will wait for her." 

"Alex don't do this. Please." 

"I just wanna see her, Oliver." Narinig ko na ang mga hikbi ni Alex. 

I am waiting for Oliver to speak. I'm waiting for him to try again convincing Alex to go home. I don't want Alex to see Beatriz. I don't know what is happening but all I know is I don't want the idea of Bea walking away from me because of her.

I am still trying to understand those things I have heard from them when someone grabbed my hand and next thing I knew, I am here inside the elevator again. 

"Oli." 

"Did you hear everything?" 

Umiling lang ako, "I doubt that was everything."

He gave me a weak smile, "Well, you are right. Marami ka pang dapat malaman." 

I inhaled as I realized I was not breathing from the time he pulled me. "I don't know if I can take it all in."

"You should Jho. If you wanna win her you should know everything about your rival."

"Are you gonna tell me everything?" 

He shifted his position and faced me. "Yes, in one condition." 

"What is it?" 

"Never let Bea go. Ipaglaban mo siya Jho." 

I creased my forehead, still wondering what did I get myself into. "Why are you doing this, Oli?"

"Because if I was the one she chose, I would fight for her, no matter what."

I'm just looking at him,  trying to understand each word he said. 

He chuckled, "Yes Jho, I love her like you do. I fall in love with Bea."

------

A/N:

Happy New Year to y'all! I'll end this story sooner than I expected, I guess? :)