Twenty-first

Beatriz

"Aren't you gonna say something?"

I stopped the car in front of her building and looked at her. Does she know?

"About what?"

She just shrugged, "Last night?"

I gave her a smirk when I remembered what happened last night. When she realized it, she gently slapped my face.
"Hindi kasi 'yon! I mean, before that."

"And what's before that? Before what?" I was enjoying the moment. I really love teasing this girl.

"Ugh! Nakakainis. I'll go ahead na nga!" she was about to open the door when I held her wrist.

"I have no idea what has gotten into you last night, Jho. But I loved every second of it. I'm actually thinking of inviting Mads again tonight." I gave her a wink but she just rolled her eyes at me.

"Try me, Beatriz."

"Jhoana, I'll definitely give it a try if that would take me back to what happened last night. Well, if I can just simply skip that scene in the hallway and jump to when we are already alone in your room then you just push me to the wall and--"

"Stop! Stop! Bea naman!"

She was already covering her ears and I couldn't help but laugh at how cute she was.

"Bahala ka nga!" bababa na sana sya ng sasakyan but I gently pulled her closer. I gave her a smack on her lips.

"I love you, Jho. I love you."

Nawala naman ang pagkainis sa mukha nya. "I love you too."

"Dinner tayo tonight?"

Bigla namang napailing ito. "Bei, si Jia remember?"

Oh yes, si Jia.
I was thinking about her kaninang pag-alis pa lang namin ng bahay.

"So what's your plan?"

"I don't know yet. Biglaan kasi yung uwi nya. Nakapagleave sana ako para may kasama sya bahay. But can you check on her later? Baka mabored yun eh. Kahit sabayan mo lang maglunch."

I was looking at her.
You serious Jhoana??

"What's with that look?"

I shrugged. "Baka ma-fall sakin yun."

"Asa ka naman. Patay na patay yun sa jowa nya."

"Are you questioning my charm, Miss Maraguinot?" I moved my face closer to her which I regret as she pinched both of my cheeks.

"Hindi po. I know Jia. I trust Jia. And I trust you. Okay po?"

Oh gosh, I love this girl so much.

I nodded at her and kissed her on forehead. Destiny, I hope I'm wrong. Not her. Please. Not her.

"Malelate na ko Bei."

"Okay. Last one." Hinila ko ulit sya at niyakap ng mahigpit.

"Makikita mo pa ko mamaya, Beatriz. Grabe makayakap?" she said between her giggles but she hugged me back.

I'll see you again later, yes. But would I still feel the same?

After kong mahatid si Jho sa opisina ay dumaan na muna ko sa coffee shop before going home.
She needs her favorite black tea. That was a long flight.

I heaved a sigh while looking at Jho's front door.
Do I have to knock? What for? I got my spare key.

I decided to do what I normally do. I went inside and saw her in the balcony. Staring at nothing. Lumapit ako sa kanya at nilapag ang binili kong black tea sa table. She looked at me and shifted her gaze to the drink.

"You still remember?" she asked.

I sat across from her. "No way I can forget, Julia."

We were quiet for a while until she broke the silence.

"She doesn't know." It wasn't a question. I didn't know what to say.

"Why? Bakit hindi mo pa sinasabi?"

"I don't know. Ang dami-dami naming pinagdaanan these past few weeks, gusto kong unti-untiin. Baka mabigla sya. I don't wanna lose her."

Napailing na lang ito. "You're gonna hurt my sister."

Napakunot naman ang noo ko sa sinabi niya. Julia, say something good please.

"No, she isn't."

"It's her."

"Stop it, Julia!"

"It's her, Isabel. It's her."

I looked up to the sky and crazy how it sounds but I hoped that I was just dreaming.

"I thought you know."

I shook my head. "I didn't even know that you are related to her."

"I didn't even know that the Bea she was telling me about is you."

I let out a bitter laugh, "Trip talaga ko ng tadhana ano? Destiny loves messing up with my feelings."

"She needs to know, Isabel." she was looking at me; ignoring my last statement.

"Alam ko namang kailangan nyang malaman. I love her. I love her so much but going back to what happened to me before, ang sakit pa rin Julia. Kahit na mahal ko sya, nararamdaman ko pa rin yung sakit."

I rested my elbows on my knees and covered my face. I tried pressing my eyes to stop myself from crying.

"Why is this happening to me? Ganun ba ko kasamang tao?"

"Isabel."

"I chose to forget everything. I chose to move on. And guess what? I love a girl who would drag me back to the past I'm trying to forget."

"I'm sorry, I'm late." she sat across the table.

"It's okay. Order ka na muna."

She called the waiter and told him to serve her the usual.

"So what's up? How are you?"

This was our second meeting. Our first didn't go well tho. But at the end of the day she believed me after seeing my pictures with my mom.

I didn't answer her question, "How's my mom?"

"She's okay naman. Medyo pagod lang kakabantay. Hindi na nga umuuwi. She's with her 24/7."

"Did she--" I stopped, hindi ko na sana itutuloy ang tanong ko but she just read me like an open book.

"Did she mention or remember you?"

I shyly nodded at her.

"Isabel, I'm so sorry if she left you for my sister. I know that Tita Det has--"

"Hindi niya na ko naaalala, right? Kinalimutan nya na ko."

"We wouldn't know--"

"Of course, we know. She left me, Julia. She left me for your family. For your sister. Just say it. Tell me, mas mahal kayo ng nanay ko."

Hindi nya muna ko sinagot as she noticed na medyo tumaas ang boses ko. She knew I was hurt.

When I calmed down, she started to speak.

"Hindi ko masyadong nakakausap si Tita Det. And honestly, I didn't like the idea of her dating my Dad before. But my sister needs her. Even she's not my real sister, mahal na mahal ko siya. She never spoke to anyone until Tita Det came to our lives. Believe me or not, hindi ko alam kung paano mo mapapatawad ang family namin, Isabel. I just think there's only one way to fix this. You and your mom need to talk. Hear her side, at least. Let her know that you're here."

"Hindi nya na ko kailangan."

"But obviously, you still need her. You wouldn't be here if you really don't."

---

AN:

Sneak peek from the past.
I highly appreciate if you'll take time giving me ideas for next chapters.