Chapter 10

I am crazy. You are crazy. Your friends are crazy.

"Come on Carly! Trust me." I hear Vandailia's voice calling to me.
I creep to the edge of the wall. I can still hear my friends calling. I stare down into nothingness. I can see nothing besides darkness. I can't believe I am doing this. I jump.

I feel wightless for a moment. Then I am plummeting to the earth. I feel the air whoosh then I am sliding down a chute. I slide for a few more moments. Then I tumble onto a plush bag. I look up into my friends faces. "What was that?"

"Technically, it is a building defect." Isa says. "A few years ago, some kids put the landing there. Now it is popular for the kids to come down."

I stand up and dust myself off. There are a few stairs to get up to the main floor of the building. We are in some sort of cellar. We walk through the main halls back to our room. On the way back we bump into Professor McKinley. I hold my breath. I am ready for her to scold us for being out of bed.

"Sorry Professor," Isa says. "We were just heading to our rooms."

"Actually," Professor McKinley says, stopping us. "I wanted to tell you girls something. Vandailia, you have a visitor coming tomorrow."

"Who?" Vandailia asks, but she has a look on her face that says she already knows.

"Your father." Professor McKinley tells her. Vandailia has a look on her face that I can't quite place. It might be fear.

Back at our sleepover, we are settling for bed. Vandailia is still shaken up. When I ask her about it all she says is, "My father isn't a...normal man. In case you haven't noticed, Electra runs in families. It's the easiest way to get it."

"He has the same one as you?" I ask.

She nods.

Alice and Vandailia get in their beds and Isa and me camp out on the floor. "Good night."

The next day...

We had got up early to meet Vandailia's father. Apparently, he visits often and Alice and Isa have already met him. We are in a small visiting parlor. Me,Alice,and Isa sit on the comfy chairs in the room. Meanwhile, Vandailia is pacing.

"Vandailia, chill out a little." Isa tells her. "Your thoughts are all over the place."

"Sorry." Vandailia says and keeps pacing.

After a few more minutes of Vandailia's pacing, the door opens to admit in a man. The resemblance is obvious. They both have the same dark hair and the same eyes. He wears a black button-up shirt.

Vandailia rushes over to him and they hug for a long time. After a while they realease each other. "How are you? Are you doing good in your classes?"

"Yes, Father. Why are you here?" She asks.

"I just wanted to see my daughter."

"You haven't been busy, have you?"

He shakes his head. "No, no, not for some time." His eyes search the room. That's when he noticed me. He crosses the room toward me. He almost seems to glide. I am not sure what his job is but he is definitely a man of some power.

"I have met the other two, but I have not met you before." He says when he reaches me.

"I'm Carly." I say it shaking his hand.

Vandailia is looking at her father. "Father,are you traveling again?"

"Yes." He says. "But, like I said I am not busy." For some reason I feel like they are using the word "busy" as a code for something.
I feel like Vandailia and her father are very secretive. They still act like it is normal. Maybe being secretive is a normal for them...