Chapter 14

I return to my room that night with a heavy heart. It's funny how a day can go from a dream to a nightmare. Vandailia had been taken to the infirmary right away. A message had been sent to her father. For some reason the professors don't want her father to come. I can't think of any reason he shouldn't come.

I smile a little as I see my bed piled with colorful packages. As a Christmas tradition, we are allowed to gift our friends. I see Isa on her bed opening her presents. I see that she has already opened the gift I gave her, a cheap New York snowglobe. I take a seat at the edge of my bed and grab the first gift. It's a small blue box. There is no indication of who it's from. I open the box to find a small book titled The Ultimate Guide to Being a Mentis.

I hold up the book. "This from you?" I ask Isa.

"Yup." She nods. "Everyone in my family has a copy."

I move on to the next gift, a large box that looks like it probably holds clothing. There is a note taped to it that reads from: Werewolfgirl. I smile at Alice's poetic abilities. Inside the box is a black t-shirt reading I can control you.

I hear Isa's voice across the room. "How appropriate."

I shake my head a little. She's probably reading my thoughts.

A little sound from Isa tells me right.

My heart stops as I see the next present wrapped in black wrapping paper. It has to be from Vandailia. My hands shake a little as I unwrap it. I smile sadly as I see a mini recreation of the Mothman statue. She is way too obsessed with Mothman. I think.

"She is." Isa says.

Now there is only one more present. It is wrapped in golden paper. I can see whoever wrapped it took great care in making it look good. It's a small box about the size of my hand. I carefully unwrap it. Once all the paper is off, I take the lid off the small box. Inside is a peice of orange glass carved to look like flames. Someone had drilled a hole through it so it could be put on a chain. I take the necklace out of the box. On the back of the flame is a small engraving from your flame. I smile at the beautiful necklace.

"That's beautiful." Isa says. I see she has stopped reading my mind and has moved behind me.

I nod a little. "Yeah,it is."

It's different walking to class without Vandailia. Me and Isa hardly talk as we walk to Electra Classifaction. I see Owen sitting at his desk in the back of the classroom. There are small circles under his eyes, and his hair is messier than usual. He gives Isa a hopeful look when we come in. Isa gives a little shake of her head and Owen sinks back in his chair.

I absentmindly touch the smooth piece of glass hanging around my neck. We haven't heard anything about Vandailia since the ball. I'm really getting worried about her. Isa and me take our seats at our desks. I stare back at Owen and remember how happy he looked at the ball. It's opposite the sad boy I see now.

"Hey."
I turn around at the sound of someone's voice. I see Grayson in a leather jacket. I get up and lean into his hug.

"You got my gift?" He looks at the necklace.

"Yes." I say. "It's amazing."

"Just like you." He says fingering a lock of my hair. My cheeks flame.

Isa clears her throat. "Excuse me, but would it too inconvenient for you to do this whole thing where it's not invading my mind?"
We smile awkwardly and Grayson takes the empty desk next to me. Class should be starting soon.

"Here comes Alice." Isa says.

Fashionably late as always... I think.

Isa can't hide a little snort.

Alice comes into the classroom looking cool in a brightly-colored top and ripped jeans. Like the rest of us she appears to be in a depressed mood. "Why do we still have to do classes?" She asks when she sits down.

"Why would we not?" Isa asks her.

"Don't you see?" Alice says, waving her hand displaying her many bangles. "First, There are rumors about the Mystic Protectors,then Vandailia freaks out." Alice leans toward Isa. "Think about it Isa."

Something dawns on Isa's face. "Why don't the teachers do something?!" She asks after a while. "They have to know!" She cries.

"It's crazy." Alice mutters and puts her chin on her desk.
I am just about to ask them what they are talking about when Professor Anil teleports to the front of the room. She has a cheerful smile on her face, unlike everyone else in the room.

"I know things were kind of crazy during the ball and I want everyone to know that Vandailia is currently in the infirmary and is being taken care of." She says calmly. She is in a fuchsia dress and her hair is in a fancy bun as usual.

"Why won't they let visitors in?" Someone asks. I don't even have to look to know it's Owen.

"She can't have any visitors in, I'm sorry." Professor Anil tells him.

"Why not?" Owen asks his voice breaking. "Whats wrong with her?"

"Nothings wrong with her." She says. "She's just experiencing some trouble."

I see Isa roll her eyes slightly. At what?

Owen leans back in his chair and presses his palms into his eyes,probably to keep from crying. He's almost a year older than Alice but now he looks seven years old.

Throughout the rest of our classes, I think about Vandailia. Isa has to know whatever secret Vandailia is hiding. Based off of the conversation she had with Alice, I would bet Alice knows too. It troubles me that even though I've been here just about a couple months now I still don't know Vandailia's Electra.