Chapter 25

"Oh my goodness! What just happened here?!" Professor McKinley says as she walks into the foyer. I can imagine how bad it looks with the shattered phone bits, scorch marks from Grayson's fireballs, and students standing about. I see that the rest of the school has followed Professor McKinley in.

I take a deep breath and quickly tell everyone about what happened, from the appearance of the two strange men to what happened just now. When I am done the whole room is staring at me, some in shock, and I can tell everyone believes me.

Professor McKinley stands in front of me. "We must prepare the school." She says to the assembled students and staff. "We have hid the truth long enough. Now it is time to face it. Classes will continue tommorow, but focus on the task at hand. It's time we prepare ourselves. Staff, there will be a meeting at noon to discuss this. Any questions?"

"What happened to Professor Anil?" Someone asks.

"I have no doubt the Mystic Protectors have her." Answers the headmistress. "Do not worry though. We will get her back."

For a moment all is silent, then a familiar voice speaks up. "What about Vandailia? Where is she?" Owen asks.

Professor McKinley sighs. "Her getting out was of her own accord. I saw her just this morning. We will attempt a search for her."

Professor McKinley starts talking again. I scan the faces of my friends and classmates. I gasp when I realize that Grayson isn't among them. I push through the crowd and I run up the stairs. "Grayson, where are you?"

"I'm over here." His voice sounds from farther up the stairs. Once I get to the top of the staircase I see him standing there. I run and throw my arms around him. "You saved me." I mutter softly as he strokes my hair.

When I finally realease him I gasp at the blood on my fingers. "You're hurt!" I gasp.

"Belive me, I'm fine." Grayson says, but I'm already turning so I can see his shoulder. My heart stops when I see the gashes on his shoulder from the owl's talons. His shirt is red from blood on his shoulder.

"Grayson! You need help!" I say, but its too late because he has already passed out into my arms.

"Hey, Professor McKinley! Grayson is hurt! Bring the nurse!" I yell down below, still holding Grayson. Moments later, Professor McKinley is up, followed by the nurse, Mrs. Wellsby.

"Oh my,Oh my." Mrs. Wellsby frets, helping me lay Grayson down against the wall. Professor McKinley gently takes me by the shoulders, pulling me back so Mrs. Wellsby can have some room to work. I know Mrs. Wellsby is a well-known healer. Her Electra is the ability of healing. I watch as she gently runs her hand over the gashes on Grayson's shoulder. I'm amazed to see that the wounds start to seal themselves. Mrs. Wellsby turns to me. "He will be just fine. He will just have to rest in the infirmary for a couple days." She comforts me. "Now go to your room and wash up."

I step out of our shared bathroom, toweling my damp hair. I believe that there is hardly anything a long, hot shower can't fix. It felt nice to be out of my clothes that still had Grayson's blood on them. I find Isa on her bed, closing the lid of her laptop.

"Were you talking to your family?" I ask her.

"Yeah." She says, putting her laptop away under her bed. "I figured I should tell them about what happened."

It was then I remembered that my parents thought I was at a fancy boarding school and I can't tell them what happened.

"But guess what?" Isa smiles at me.

I roll my eyes. I wonder what crazy thing this will be. "What?"

"My family will come to visit next Saturday!" Isa says a little more excited then I think she should be.

"Really? That's great. I can't wait to meet them." I say.

Isa gives me a long look. "Why don't you sound excited?"

I sigh and grab a beanie out of my dresser. "I just have a lot on my mind right now. With Grayson and everything." I tell her.

Isa nods. "I can imagine. Tell you what, how about you can take a walk outside. Meanwhile I will arrange to have our lunch sent up here and we can binge random things online."

I smile and grab a sweater from my dresser. "Sounds great."

My brown boots gently crunch the leaves. By now all the leaves have fallen off the trees, a coming sign of winter. A chilly breeze blows my dusty blonde hair around my face. I am dressed for the weather in a dark maroon sweater, blue jeans, brown boots and a purple beanie.

I don't really know where I am going. I'll just walk a while down the path, then turn back to the school. I am suprise when a gray wolf comes padding up to me. Owen does nothing but silently shift and join me in my walk. The breeze ruffles his black hair. I realize that the dark circles under his eyes are more prominent than ever.

"It sucks when someone you love is hurt, doesn't it?" He says softly, his hands in his pockets.

I nod. "Yeah, it does."

"You're lucky." Owen says. "You know that Grayson will be okay in a couple days. You know where he is. You can go speak to him. I don't know anything at all about Vandailia." Owen's voice breaks on the last sentence.

"Hey, it's okay." I say, looking at him. "Everyone is doing everything they can."

Owen looks up at the endless clouds. "I just feel like there's something the teachers aren't telling me." Owen says. "And it really worries me that I don't know."

I tug a little on my toboggan. "Owen, just because you dont know, doesn't mean there is nothing you can do about it."

Owen says nothing and we walk on for a while more. After we have walked awhile I see how far we have gone. "Well," I say. "I'm going back to the school. How about you?"

Owen looks at the surrounding woods and sighs. "No. I think I am going to stay here for a while."

I nod and start walking the other way, leaving Owen behind me.