Chapter 21

All through the rest of the day, I still couldn't shake the feeling about that teacher. It seems my friends are the same. During study hall, we quietly chatter about him. I am re-reading the Mentis guide in an attempt to find out more about this guy.

"What kind of name is Zeithman?" Alice asks. "It sounds like something an author would make up when they run out of ideas."

Isa just shrugs. I am sure she is putting up with Alice's thoughts, which I am sure are just as crazy as her personality. I don't answer, busy in a passage about mind controllers. 

"What kind of nationality is it?" Alice thinks out loud, chewing on the end of her pencil. Then she shrugs and looks at the book on the desk in front of her. "I am just upset that he assigned us so much studying. Your guys' Classifaction really is boring." Alice begins gesturing wildly. "Brain,brain,brain. Thoughts, brain, and more thoughts."

Isa looks at Alice over top of her book. "When we start learning  Figura, don't start howling,please." I can't help to hide a laugh. Alice turns to me.

"It's not that funny." She says. Any other comebacks are ruined by the sound of the tolling bell. Alice leaps up from her chair with a yell of victory. She quickly snatches up her books and puts them away. I watch her as she runs out the library.  I notice the librarian smile a little and roll her eyes.

"Where's Alice going so fast?" I ask Isa as we put away our books.

Isa shrugs and puts a book on a shelf. "It's full moon tonight. Werewolves tend to go a little stir-crazy around this time."

"How did you know it was almost the full moon?" I ask her.

"Oh, Alice was thinking about it. Constantly." Isa says. "See you at the room?" She asks as we go.

"Um...no, not right away. I got to go do something first." I tell her. Isa seems to understand, probably because she can read my thoughts.

"Ok. See ya later, then." Isa says,nodding.

Once I leave, I walk down the corridors to the infirmary. I am nearing the infirmary when I hear the sound of someone's voice. It sounds like they are on the phone.

"Yeah,definitely here...I actually already found her...You did good, Mel...You should know, they have a really bad omen here. I heard the other professors talking about it...Yeah, really bad...Okay,you do that.Bye."

I turn the corner to run into the sound of the voice. "Professor Zeithman?" I ask when I see him. "What are you doing here?"

For a moment he looks caught of guard. "Oh, I needed to take a phone call. I couldn't find any bars." He says, smiling and holding up his phone. His phone is the latest model. I don't know why I am not suprised to see that.

"What's your name again?" Professor Zeithman asks,confused.

"Carly Hope." I answer.

"Carly." He repeats. "I will try to remember that." For a moment, he get this odd look on his face. Then he pats my shoulder. "Okay,you run along now."

"Yeah." I nod and start walking down the corridor. I stop after a while and watch Professor Zeithman turn the corner. I continue on until I get to the real reason I came here.

I see Owen sitting in the same spot by the door. He's been sitting there during all his free time. He rarely comes to meals. He is deteriorating. Owen must really care for Vandailia.

"Owen," I say, approaching him. "What are you doing here? It is full moon. Shouldn't you be outside?"

Owen says nothing. His eyes are fixated on a point on the floor. He takes a shaky breath before he speaks. "I cant." Owen shakes his head, his black hair falling around his face. "She is getting worse."

"How do you know?"

"I don't know." Owen mutters. "But I do know."

"It's not going to do you any good if you just sit here." I tell him, kneeling down on the floor.

Owen shakes his head and looks at the door beside him, muttering to himself.

"Young Leader," He looks up at the sound of his werewolf name. "How can you be a leader if you can't lead yourself?" I ask.

That seems to work. After some silence, Owen speaks very quietly. "I guess I could out later."

I smile softly and get up. I assume that is the best I will get from Owen. As I walk back to my room with Isa I can't help but think about my encounter with Professor Zeithman. What did he mean about a bad omen? If there is an omen at Electracademy, what is it?